TV problem

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by yipster, Jul 23, 2007.

1. yipster

yipster designer

Like last year I took my TV to the boat but now only get sound, picture flashes and goes to grey.
    Thought it could be half charged battery’s but no, than paid € 45 to have the tube “repaired” but problem remained.
    Back home on 220 ac and in the car on 12 dc it works great.....
    Ok, this year the boat is a bit stuffed up between bigger ones and will check the shore power down
    but maybe one of you knows off hand what’s the problem?

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

TV problems

Sorry can't help Yipster. Just worried that you should feel a need to take a TV aboard your boat....:(

1 person likes this.
  3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Ours has had to have the connection board, between where the cord comes in the back and all the internal gizmos, resoldered twice (6 years apart on a 13 year old tv) when the picture became warbly, but the sound was good. The guy said solder evaporates over time. I don't believe that, but he showed me what he did and it fixes the problem.

4. yipster

yipster designer

economics! its a way to extend boating time without having to fuel up :D
    maybe later today i'l start pulling some cables

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Its the antenna not the power supply.

6. yipster

yipster designer

fixed

think it was me that did the rest of the shorepower cable in a twirl around the meter.
    i'm using a digital wireless pay receiver as analog channels are turned of the air years ago.
    will admit 5 minutes later the 12v fuse in the plug popped, my mistake again couse i used a shaver cord.
    can very well be the worn digi antenne cable still has knick but for now that tv shines as ever.
    now how to do economy wireless i-net :confused:

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Yipster
    I only recently discovered that a TV tuner card in a laptop computer is a brilliant combination. Low power, you can record programs easily to the hard disk and so easy to move around. The tuner cards sell here for around $70 US. I was watching one yesterday you could even watch 4 channels at once (for the real TV addict).

8. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Mike Johns, Yipster said he has had the "tube repaired."
    Sounds like it's an ancient TV. These days you throw them away and buy a new one. And you want him to use a laptop?? I don't think he will be ready for that technology for around 10 years yet.:D

If it works in your home and it works in your car there is nothing wrong with the TV.

Assuming you have 12 volts in your boat and don't have voltage drop between the source power and your TV then we can rule that out.

TV station signal. I don't know where you live but it might get a better reception at home than on your boat. Don't forget in a boat you are about sea level (I think).

If you are using an antena cable make sure it has no sharp bends or kinks and avoid using cable clips it changes the impedence of the cable.

Poida

9. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Maybe there's a 'thing' there with Wilma, Bergy :D

10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

TV problems

Or maybe if he took those glasses off the reception would improve...:)

11. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

:p We bow down to you!! :D

12. yipster

yipster designer

after walking the marina 3 times with a dumb tube i'll keep the sunglasses up

13. yipster

yipster designer

since its apperantly electronics day: wireless digital tv recievers signal is frequently changed by provider so need to be reset, i was dumb :eek:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.