Directional steering on a 96 Sea Rayder

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Hammer808, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Hammer808

Hammer808 New Member

My g/f has a 96 Sea Rayder and the steering just does not seam right to me. The boat will turn instantly on a dime when tuning left but just to go straight, the steering wheel has to be all the way to the right. Looking out the back, you can see the jet propulsion is even angled to the right, yet the boat remains on a straight line. Is this normal?
    I spent many years boating but never in a jet boat.
    Thanks in advance for any input

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How does the bottom look, does it have any warping or cupping?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

With the boat on the trailer, have someone run the helm from full lock to full lock in both directions. It's likely you'll notice the cone isn't following a straight line from side to side, viewed from astern. I'm guessing it swings up as the jet tries to steer to the right.

4. Hammer808

Hammer808 New Member

I haven't looked closely but I will. There was a repair made underneath (from previous owner hitting something) after she bought it and before it went in the water by us.

I will take a close look at the movement. I was not sure if the small rudder on the bottom of the drive has any affect.

Thank you both for your input

5. PAR

The anode fin on the bottom of the drive has very (very) little to do with steering, though can be used to a degree to help prop walk. Certainly nothing like what you're experiencing.

6. Hoodling

Hoodling New Member

To answer your first question, Hammer808, No, this is not normal, and indicates a steering set up problem. If it's not the steering that's at fault, it could be a lot more problematic I'm afraid.

Just a little extra info here. Jet boats do not (or should not) produce any torque effect as does a propellor driven boat. With a right hand rotating propellor for example, it's easier to turn left than it is to the right.

In a Jet boat however, this is not the case. Letting go the steering wheel in a jet boat (assuming it is set up correctly) should see the boat carry on in a straight ahead line. In a propellor driven boat, letting go of the steering wheel will cause the boat to bear to the left - in the case of right hand propellor rotation. Caution should be exercised when trying these manoeuvres.

What does your g/f's boat do if the steering wheel is centred and let go. Does it bear off to one or other side?

Your g/f's jet boat having no steering to the right, despite the jet stream pointing to the right, is not good and suggests a pretty serious problem.

PAR's suggestion to check full lock to lock is the first thing to do.

7. PAR

I'll bet something's bent and the jet swings up as it's turns right. You might also want to look aft as you turn to see the roster tail changes, which should be basically symmetrical in each direction. Again, I'm betting you'll see a big difference in the right turn roster tail, compared to the left. Well that's my guess anyway.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.