Dinghy tragedy caused by stability fault

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by zerogara, Mar 16, 2006.

1. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

made me remember, long time ago, I made an umbrella of a laser at beach... sorry have no photos of that shameless incident, (my kids began calling me Capt Storm) ;)

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

You'll find Mollyanna capsize full report at:
    http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Mollyanna.pdf
    I recommend a careful reading of it. From there:
    "...the inaccuracy and potential incompleteness of the tests conducted in 2001 calls into question the validity of the Statement of Conformity issued by IMCI in 2001. The validity of the Certificate of Conformity issued by the consultant in 2003 is also questionable..."
    From PBO mag, May issue:
    "The Polish BEZ 2 (Mollyanna) is categorized as RCD category C (coastal waters, wind up to force 6 and waves up to 2m), but a RYA test on a 2005 model BZ 2 showed it did not meet any of the stability and buoyancy requirements for this category. Furthermore, given the dinghy's propensity to invert, its centerplate to retract, and for water to ingress trough the buoyancy spaces, the MAIB also questioned wether the dinghy should qualify for use in sheltered waters (Category D).
    The BEZ 2 has now been withdrawn from the market while its documents are modified...."

In my opinion it's quite clear BEZ 2 is a faulty design, unduly CE marked, not able to recover after a capsize. Add the crew's inexperience to this, and we get the recipe for disaster.

3. zerogara

zerogara build it and sail it

I don't doubt your opinion or anyone else's on how crappy design this vessel is, but I fear of the implications of over regulation.

> " the MAIB also questioned wether the dinghy should qualify for use in
    > sheltered waters (Category D)."

Fine boats such as the RS800, Laser 5000, Topper Boss, or any other fast dinghy with wings, can pratically be banned. The joy of sailing can be restricted to tub like sailing tugs with a ton of safety equipment, unless you're engaging in close circuit competition.

Can a 100kg dinghy with 20sq.m of sail underwater (one heck of a dumper to any righting force) and wings be righted by a grandfather and grandkid?

Certificate of Conformity! I wonder when they said the German wall came down which side of the wall was it?

We are evolving into a society where people would rather do nothing and stay alive at their bureaucratic posts than risk having to find a replacement for the BORG! For people working on mines, off shore platforms, cranes, bridges, biochemical factories, etc. there sure isn't that much protectionism going on.

4. Guillermo

Those are racing dinghies, conceived only with racing in mind, out of the scope of regulations such as the RCD, and should not be used for family sailing or cruising.

Like the one in the attached image? She's is CE marked....:eek:

You've stated this kind of nonsense (in my humble opinion) before. I'm still waiting for your response to my previous IMO stability regulations question.

Attached Files:

5. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

easy man, do not confuse, sailing a dinghy on a calmy summer afternoon on a beach with an around alone... both may have similar adrenaline levels, similar fun, but each activity has it's own risks, it's own limitations & it's own needs for security equipment... (wouldn't you try to cross the Atlantic tied to a wooden log yeah?)
    As it sounds crazy & absurde to carry a zodiac tied to your kid's optimist, is alike absurde going on open waters without a lifejackett as it would be signing on a VO70 crew if you haven't learned to swimm... there must be different "grades of control" established for different risk-stated activities, as there are different boats, designed & fitted to suit each of them.

About the report of investigation (a matter particulary I have some experience on) after filtering all, in my humble opinion, can be joined on 3 main questions:
    1. Issues related to the crew, the main reason may possibly be charged to the lack of experience of the crew (or the irresponsability of the port authorities who let them out? ) Can't belive there is no any license required to leave a port there, and no any instruction on sailing, not to mention a training on lifejacket use.
    2. Issues related to the dinghy design, faults (lack of buyonancy, difficult to right, and so on) The authorities weren't advised on that? have they never checked this or any other twin dinghy before? As it was certified for "C" zone, somebody must have certified it or not?
    3. At the launching time, the port authorities usually give you (if you ask for it) an actualized weather forecast for the next hours, and also if any advice comes from Weather Service, they are trained to act in response (have the prerrogative to deny you permission to leave)

6. Guillermo

As I've told before, an Statement of Conformity was issued by IMCI in 2001. :rolleyes:
    IMCI is No 0609 notified body within the EU.

7. solrac

solrac 100% sudaca

.. As it was certified for "C" zone, somebody must have certified it or not?..

right, it was certified. but no adequate floating, no adequate righting, really, nice guys out there certifying things you have...:D :D :D
    tah makes me thinking if can be catalogued as an "accident" or "murder 1":rolleyes:
    I do give thanks God for living here down on the 3rd world... christ!!! they say we are indians....:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8. Guillermo

You got it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.