Dinghy scantlings

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Chuck Losness, Dec 25, 2012.

1. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Yes 8'2" x 4' . 2 layers of 2 oz mat dry .120" about 3mm not sure what it would be after wet out and cured

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

1 ounce mat, in a hand layup will be .016" (.4 mm) and is about .13 pounds per square foot.

Dinghy scantlings usually are over the top, for practical reasons. Simply put, if you scale the scantlings to the loads, then the laminate is too thin, so they're usually well beyond what's necessary to keep people from putting foot through the bottom, when they get in. A small dinghy might need a few alternating layers of mat and roving, though directional fabrics and epoxy could make this lighter, there is such a thing as too light.

3. tazmann

tazmann Senior Member

Thanks Par
    I thought it would be a little thicker than that , I did some test with 3/4 ounce mat using epoxy a while back but I cant remember how thick it was .
    I have only built a couple dinghies but I used .125" 5052 on the 8 footer with no stringers and .100" 5052 on the 10 footer with stringers both made nice strong dinghies but a bit on the heavy side for lifting by hand to get up on deck

4. zklein4

zklein4 New Member

Chuck, did you make any progress on this design? I’m very curious

5. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

No. I ended up buying an old glaspar 10 ft dinghy for fraction of the cost to build a new fiberglass dinghy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.