Dinghy Rudder Change on Kite Dinghy

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by BobBill, Sep 2, 2010.

1. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

So not to hijack a thread on rudder problem, wherein I failed to figure out ratios of rudder area to hull.

Two rudders here, one original barn door and Laser II kick-up rudder. One atop the other. The pic has the blades in about same operating position to each other.

I figure to add the fore/aft section to the Laser to come forward of the stern a bit, while going deeper or wider or a combination to achieve balance and so on where the barn door's lateral planes extend.

I understand the dynamics of the forward edge, but wonder if I really need to match surface for surface. I was going to hang it and try it, but seems the surface differences hints the results.

This is more an experiment to gain kick-up without destroying original rudder, Old rudder is sound.

Attached Files:

2. gggGuest

gggGuest ...

I'd just put it on there mate: plenty of classes have far bigger variations of rudder shape and size without it making any important difference to the balance or handling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.