Singing Dancing Shapechanging Jetboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by alan craig, Sep 20, 2014.

1. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

Just found this on Gizmag but I've linked to the company website:

http://www.kormaran.com/product-en.html

I'll be viewing the screen from the safety of the next room as I read your replies.....

1 person likes this.
  2. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Cue Q branch... Neat engineering but I want to see the real thing. Anyone can do drawings... just look at me!

3. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

It's not engineering, or a boat, just some pretty grapics with nothing underpinning it in terms of practical design.

We have a serious problem with "designers" being trained to produce pretty graphics, but not having a clue as to how their ideas might possibly be engineered into products, and this is a classic. Jut look at the foil design and placement, with the lack of pitch control or sensible foil sizing to see how really daft this is.

4. alan craig

alan craig Senior Member

... and how do you get enough water to whizz up that tiny tube from the rear foil to the three jets? Maybe that is why it does 44mph on nearly 500 h.p.

The website implies testing already done on a prototype but there are no pictures of real components, or a boat.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I was sold on the first page - went looking for the videos ....... chirp chirp

went looking for the price .......... dead silence

Sigh .........

6. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

just the very basic fact that the hull(s) are displacement hulls, not planing, is a glaring issue. naturally everything else is equally silly.
    But some of those closeup renders, if 3d, are amazing and the presentation is very sleek

7. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

reading more they present a whole process history claiming patents and prototypes etc.
    All information reads like a 3rd year design student's wet dream but they pretend its for real.
    500hp jets ain't gonna suck their water through that tiny whole in the hydrofoil arm...

8. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I'm a big fan of moving parts being used in ways that 10 or 20 years ago could only be done by NASA, but now can be done by any harebrained start up due to falling CAD/CAM costs.

We will see some sort of wunder-boats in the future is my prediction.

9. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

As a displacement catamaran which can reduce its beam for transport it would be sweet.

As for the rest, clearly the best way to improve the extended concept is with a FC hull....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.