Dinghy Design: Open 60 influence?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Doug Lord, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dinghy Design: Open 60 influence?-single curved lifting foil

Breakthru!
    I've looked a t a lot of possible solutions for this including using some sort of roller that touched the board and allowed it to move with a hand crank or another means of causing rotation.(see post #117)
    The breakthru comes in post #16 of this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sailboats/quant-28-foil-assist-keelboat-dss-38421-2.html

Hugh Welbourn makes a comment-the first I've ever read- about how the DSS foil on the Quant 28 is moved. It has a roller in a wetbox where the shaft of the roller is sealed like a stuffing box-only simpler. Cranking or rotating the roller slides the foil athwartship! It is a brilliant idea for that boat and foil system and a version of it would work w/o the wetbox for the single curved dinghy foil. The break thru is the certain knowledge now that a roller system will work!
    The foil is a single molded asymmetric foil that slides in a trunk across the boat.
    When centered it is retracted and it can be deployed on the port or stb side and adjusted at will. Using the roller system it could be tied into a sliding seat so that it is automatically deployed tack to tack.
    Thanks for the inspiration, Hugh!

Attached Files:

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dinghy Design: Single Curved Lifting Foil

This is a possible addition to a single curved lifting foil that I've just conceived of: instead of having the foil 100% retracted when centered as shown in the previous post the foil tips could be allowed to hang down below the hull on each side so that when the boat is beached the hull doesn't touch the sand! The tips could be designed to be replaceable....
    I used replaceable tips on the orignal Tantra mentioned earlier in this thread and they worked very well.
    ---
    Also, here is a rough sketch of a gear system that would allow the foil to be tied into a sliding seat for automatic movement.

Rough Sketches,L to R: L= single curved lifting foil with tips that extend below hull when board is in centered(retracted) position, R= possible gear solution to moving board automatically without any disruption to the surface in the water.
    click on image:

Attached Files:

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dinghy Design: Single Curved Lifting Foil

I've been extremely busy for some time but when things settle down a bit I'm
    going to start another thread focusing 100% on dinghy designs using a single curved lifting foil. I think the Tantra II concept(see earlier) has tremendous potential as well, but I think the single curved foil may be able to be applied in such a way as to produce an extraordinary dinghy with a higher percentage of "foil assist" than any current dinghy. The single curved foil has potential to be a relatively inexpensive "foil assist" solution with or without a rudder t-foil-and even if a rudder t-foil is used it could be significantly smaller that the foils on an I-14, National 12 or Moth.
    I think a small dinghy using this foil offers unmatched performance potential compared to non- foil assist boats. Coupled with a sliding seat that can automate the movement of the foil and the full or 90% retractability of the foil
    the boat could demonstrate exceptional performance with comfort and ease of sailing.
    We'll see- I'll get into it when I can.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Here is the basic concept of the Tantra II-a design based on an earlier design of mine. It will be some time before I can do any prototype development of this concept but anybody that would want to work further on the design is welcome. I think it has tremendous potential as shown in the original hull or in a newer version using the basic concept. It is the ONLY design application, that I am familiar with, where curved lifting foils add righting moment ,vertical lift and take care of the lateral resistance in a monohull dinghy.

===================

Development Target: One of the most significant developments in foiler design may be a curved foil that uses a flap on the portion that lifts vertically that can be connected to a wand surface sensor rather than a Hobie trifoiler "feeler". The aspect ratio advantages of the curved foil(Greg Ketterman) would then be able to be easily adaptable to a retracting curved foil instead of using the "feeler" surface sensors on the non retractable, all moving Hobie Trifoiler foils. If anyone comes up with a good idea how to do it I will try it on the model in this thread: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/mu...lf-righting-trimaran-test-model-36058-10.html
    The results may be applicable to any boat using the right kind of curved foil.

Pictures-rough, preliminary concept sketches of the Tantra II and the original Tantra hull and rig-one of the first square top rigs ever-
    click on image for best detail:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Dinghy Design: Open 60 influence

I think it will be exciting in a few years(or decades) to see how and when dinghy design takes a turn again and applies modern foil technology to boats that don't necessarily require the most athletic of crew. Fear of foils is fading and it seems like a wide open area of small boat design to incorporate foil systems where the foil(s) contribute to RM, and ease of sailing, better handling and more fun for a wider audience as a result. It's already happening big time in small and large multies-maybe dinghies won't be too far behind....
    The Moth, I-14, National 12 have already shown what can be done in the highest performance applications of full flying and foil assist for monohulls but there is a whole untapped world of monohull dinghy design that could benefit from what is known about foils now.
    And the Open 60's have shown that adapting proven technologies from multihull foil assist applications can pay big dividends.

"sailing on foils is more fun!"

click on image-

Attached Files:

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Tantra and Tantra II

This is what might be called Tantra art-done by my brother Frank in the late 70's. More on the actual boat above in post 156...

click on image:

Attached Files:

7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Reminds me a little of Noel Fuller's early NZ foiler.

Attached Files:

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

========================
    Thats cool, Gary-thanks.....

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.