Mold Help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by MrAnderson, Dec 17, 2013.

1. MrAnderson

MrAnderson New Member

So, I'm currently in the planning stage for a 26' boat, which I want to make out of fiberglass. The only boat I've worked on this size was fiberglassing a 20' wooden fishing boat, so I haven't really had to make a mold before.

Would making the keel and frame out of bent or sawn lumber and then sheeting it in melamine panels or some other sort of thin wooden sheets be a suitable base to fiberglass the hull out of?

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Glossy Melamine panels make great moulds !
    If the design suits, make female frames for the panels and you have a female mould. Inside radii can be plasticine or polyester builders bog and outside radii pvc pipe.