Laser Vers's Sea-wind

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Glowman, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Glowman

Glowman Junior Member

Hi,
    I need some help with regard to choosing a Yacht, I have built several yachts of various types nothing too technical but practical.
    I am at the point now where I need to move on and as far as I can imagine I rather fancy either a Laser or a Seawind.
    I'm hoping that someone out there can offer some advice on which is the best yacht between these two craft, if not from a personal point of view,
    perhaps from technical point of view.
    I am aware of the differences between the to yachts , both are easy
    to carry around thats my main concern.
    Any help will be welcomed

2. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

I have never heard of a Sea-Wind but I would go with a Laser. They are fun to sail, and have a GREAT established class. Personally, I think its a no-brainer.

TC

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Try Seawindcats.com They make a 10 metre boat every 2 weeks. Most go to the USA. I am not sure what a "no brainer" is but if you were in US you would know of them . Sorry Im not sure where CT is.

4. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

Since Glowman's talking about Seawind boats that are "easy to carry around" like a Laser, there's a fair chance he's not talking about Richard Ward's Seawind cats.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh -- very similar names!!

Err you know Richard too?

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Radio controled yachts? oh sorry

8. JEM

JEM Senior Member

He's not talking about a Kruger Sea Wind, is he?

9. TimClark

TimClark Senior Member

sheesh...we were all wrong. :D

10. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The Laser is probably structurally superior to Seawind. Laser is far easier to rig. The two boats are different breeds of cat. (not catamaran cats) The laser is a dinghy with a deep fin and small bulb. The seawind is a model of a cruising type. The Laser is probably faster, if that's what you're after. If you are ready to tackle a more sophisticated boat then consider one of the meter class boats. The International one meter, IOM, is one of the worlds most popular. The US one meter, US1M, is similar but it is a developement class boat that has numerous designs. All are one meter in length and easily transportable. Since you live in Florida you might want to take a good look at the EC12. There are a lot of them and the class has frequent regattas. The EC12 guys are a great bunch of people, always ready with help and encouragement. The 12 is 59" LOA, weighs about 23 pounds and sails like a real yacht. ......Go to AMYA.org/EC12 Look up clubs in your area. They are in St. Pete, West Palm, Jacksonville, The Villages, Naples, and several other locations. The St. Petersburg group also has a number of other classes, including the meter boats, Marbleheads and the like. There is some active Laser racing going on in the state too. The Group at the Villages seem to have a few Sea Winds but more Victorias than other types.

Whether or not you are interested in active racing, it will be worth while to visit some of the Florida RC sailboaters. You'll get first hand advice and many of the sailors will let you take a turn at the controls of their boats.

Smooth sailing

11. Glowman

Glowman Junior Member

Laser Virs's Seawind

Hi Messabout,
    Thanks for your imput I was beginning to wonder where all the sailors had gone with the rubbish that came in on this thread.
    I really appreciate your input and have already started to look at some of your suggestions.
    Thank You

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Glowing Recomendation

---------------
    Hey, Glowman: I don't think its fair of you to characterize the replies you got on this thread as rubbish. Most of these guys had no idea that you were talking about RC yachts since you didn't mention that fact in your post. As best as I can tell they genuinely tried to help you.
    As for me, I had already tried to help you once before here:
    R/c Laser Yacht Wanted - Boat Design Forums
    Address:http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15057

13. Glowman

Glowman Junior Member

Laser vers;'s Seawind

Hi Doug Lord,
    I thanked you for your help you gave on the occassion you mention, as for the Rubbish bit, well I thought this was a RC forum,I wasn't aware it covered
    full size yachts. sorry !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.