Mesh models as cad blocks?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bhnautika, Mar 22, 2011.

1. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Would anyone be interested in mesh models of generic boat parts? Although they are not strictly cad blocks they can be used for adding quick detail to renderings both external and internal. I will supply them in lwo format (lightwave) as this produces the smallest file size, they can be loaded into rhino as well as a lot of other mesh-based programmes that can import this format. It is possible to get 2d drawings from them in rhino (see pic 1) if you don’t scale them up to much, as they will drawn with lines for curves because of the meshes. I have rendered them in rhino/ flamingo in a number of scenes (see example, pic 2) that match the models in the zip files I have. A lot of these models were originally cad blocks supplied earlier in iges but were very large files and didn’t always translate well.

Attached Files:

2. yipster

yipster designer

allready wondered how you made that showroom before reading "A lot of these models were originally cad blocks supplied earlier in iges but were very large files"
    those horns for axample were so big i found it faster to draw them, did save some of your big cad blocks small before tho
    but thanks for this initiative bhnautika, it is gonna cost you some pc time again tho :)

3. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Yipster you will be glad to hear that horn file has gone from the original 1Mb to 200Kb I will upload the zip files this week but in the meantime here are the other scenes of parts.

Attached Files:

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

I have uploaded models to “cad blocks” in zip files. Whats in the picture is in the file.

2 people like this.
  5. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Thank's Bill. Is this all public domain?

6. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Yes Mike I have modelled all of these over the years and they are purposely generic in design and are free to be used.

7. yipster

yipster designer

downloaded a zip still to unzip, thx again bhnautika also for pointing me to bended uvw mapping for a teakdeck a while ago, something i did once learn but forgot
    we (i) have to stay on the ball to swim, witch is another thing i'm terribly out of, but ya never loose the skill they say eh, well, i wonder so going for a swim soon :p

on downsizing cad files i have to mention most files privided by the industry, a drive or engine cad file often excedes 50MB leaving little if any mem for a boat to fit it in :(
    ok ok i have seen files that come in high and low detail too actually, have a nice day

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.