truing up bulk heads

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by pbck1w1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. pbck1w1

pbck1w1 New Member

I am at present working on the interior of a 56ft polyester fibre reinforced power boat. I have been assigned a cabin and asked to straighten the plywood bulkheads so that panelling can be fitted over the top. These bulkheads have been tagged in with polyester and fibre so are thick at teh top and bottom. I have been doing this with plywood ground for the humps and packed for the hollows. This is then glued to the bulk head. We need to keep the bulkheads as thin as possible to have as much space as possible in the small cabins. It is taking a long time. The only other method that I know is to use epoxy with a filler powder and battens removing the battens after setting. This works well but also takes along time while the glue goes off.
    I was thinking that there may be a product out there which we could use the flat batten and glue method which would set in a couple of minutes and cure over the next twenty or so hours. If it could be pumped out of a sausage gun that would be even better. I would like to get the time down from one week to true up a cabin to one day if possible.
    I was wondering if anyone knows of a better ways of doing this.

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Emmm, bit late now, but we reduce plywood bulkhead where the tabs go before installation. The end result is basically flat.

You could staple temp battens onto the ply, fair by screeding. Next time, think ahead mate.