Difference in Degree Titles

Discussion in 'Education' started by VillasRandy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. VillasRandy

VillasRandy Lost HS Senior

Hi, im a senior in HS right now and have been looking and applying to different schools w/ degrees involving boat design. I have been accepted to University of New Orleans, Texas A&M @ Galveston, Maine Maritime Academy, SUNY Maritime, and i go for my interview at Webb on monday.

Besides wanting opinions about where to go, i am also curious about differences in degrees. Ive seen Naval Architecture, Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Marine Systems Engineering, Marine Engineering Technology.

I really want to be designing vessels.

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Naval Architecture generally includes everything involved with the design of a vessel (vessel includes anything that floats), the hull, superstructure, all the systems on the vessel, everything! Marine Engineering is generally applied to the "systems" on a vessel, e.g. engines, plumbing, electrical, AC and Ventilation and so on. Marine Systems Engineering and Marine Engineering Technology are (dare I say lesser????) lesser degrees of Marine Engineering covering specific systems. Yes, it does get confusing! Be glad you didn't ask what the difference is between a yacht designer and a Naval architect!

3. VillasRandy

alright, thank you, now i guess it all comes down to me picking which school to go to. Of those that I have applied to does anyone have any opinions?

im looking mostly for the best program right now, job placement upon graduation, equipment at the school...
    of those listed, i am not concerned about price (3 of them i have been offered full tuition scholarships, and some kind of scholarship to the others)

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I am an alumnus of the University of Michigan, so I regard it very highly. If you want to go into ship design, I would encourage you to go there. You will get the best engineering background in naval architecture that is possible. Webb Institute is also very good.

Eric

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I would agree with Eric. U of M is tops. Webb is excellent but very exclusive. However, if you can get into Webb they pay the bill. If you search these threads fro Naval Architecture schools you will find a long list of schools that offer it.

6. VillasRandy

well i have applied and been accepted to all of those i listed except for webb, and im going for my final interview on monday of next week. It is too late for me to apply to U of M, i already checked there and missed it by a few days. So of those listed Webb is the highest ranked?

7. LostInBoston

LostInBoston Junior Member

There is also Ocean Engineering, where you can learn naval architecture and hydrodynamics.

8. VillasRandy

ok, i realize that there is difference between the degrees, now i just need to decide what school to go too.

UNO- NAME
    Webb- NAME (not accepted quite yet)
    TAMUG- MSE
    MMA- MSE
    SUNY- NA

those are my options.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.