DuraKore as cabin floor?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by RoyB, Jan 15, 2008.

1. RoyB

RoyB Junior Member

I think I put this in the wrong category when first posted. Apologies to anyone bothered by re-post...
    ----------------------------------------------
    I will be replacing the cabin flooring in a 40 foot sailboat. The existing flooring is getting soft from moisture and abuse and the Teak and Holly veneer is trashed.

I've been thinking about using BalTek / DuraKore for the job. I'd laminate either thin Teak/Holly veneer (if I can find it) or else a layer or two of carbon fiber on the upper surface.

I have a some questions:

1) Would I be better off using balsa or foam cored material?
    2) How do I best calculate the required thickness?
    3) If I surface with carbon fibre I'd like to clear coat it for appearance. Is there a good way to apply some non-skid to the exposed surface without destroying the appearance?
    4) Will epoxy work for the exposed surface or is it too soft and subject to marking if a winch handle or similar is dropped on it?
    5) In general (I know it's hard to give a specific answer) will a DuraKore+surface laminate panel be lighter than an equivalent plywood + teak/holly veneer panel?
    6) Is there another approach to the top surface that I haven't thought of that would be better than CF or veneer?

Thanks in advance

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.