Difference between 10m and 12m catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Fanie, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

My friend went to Africa one year instead of Thailand he was in Johanasburg (sorry about spelling) after two days he went to the travel agent to get out as quick as possible.

He was **** scared, he said big black policeman on horses,--looked like the Planet of the apes.

2. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

Nicest places to live in NZ:
    Napier
    Auckland
    Tauranga

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Richard,
    From my office I look E thru to NW, and apart from a clump of trees due north, (go upstairs and I can see around them by going from one of the verandah to the other - 45 ft) and can see Mudjimba Island, Maroochydore, the Airport, Coolum, Noosa Headland and 58 km away, the Great Sandy National Park which ends at Double Island Point. I am about 300 ft above sea level.

4. Richard Atkin

Richard Atkin atn_atkin@hotmail.com

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

You have no idea how many people around here is thinking about that every single day here. :D

Masalai, please do not offer links to 62' boats, very kind of you dear friend but I just don't have the space for it ! :D

South Africa is a stunning and beautiful place except for two things.
    1 -the coast line is much too short and should have reached inland as well :D
    2 - The pigment strained barbarians buggers everything up and does not learn from their mistakes. Sad but true - look through out Africa, all dictatorships, poverty, decay.

Sorry, off topic. Sadly there is a chance I may stick to 10m hulls, if only I can get another excuse towards the 12m ones... :D

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, the 44C of Bob Oram, is the one I wanted you to look at seriously AND to READ his pages. His designs do not look "flat-panel" - they are.... and a remarkably quick build... You could then sail wherever you needed to migrate to... With the wife and children:D Well worth the extra thought.

7. masalai

masalai masalai

The paradise lost seems a common thread in expressed anguish. I said something similar of PNG. So sad..........

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Nice boat, I have so many favourites it seems. The 12m is still a consideration, I'll have to do some calculations before I write the idea off. It may still work out

Anyway, I'm off to do a bit of trimaran sailing with a friend, and a bit of fishing, have to try and fit a jib to his rig also. It was him who won his buddy by using the GPS to monitor speed ;) the friend has now gone and put up a longer mast, friend now counter acts with a jib. Playing 'one up' :D Big kids ;)

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Fanie, read Bobs "open" reply to someone asking about smaller sizes.... It points out well why 12m is good...:D

10. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

I like the 44c, Cool Cats had one for sale that looked like it was done well. Oram uses the forward cockpit idea that Chris White has in the Atlantic series of designs. I would like to see that in the flesh, as yet I have not been so lucky as they all seem to hide in the tropics. Must go to QLD on a cat viewing expedition some time :D

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Heinz, "Cool Cats" is building one (44C) now, and should be finished in a month or so... Not far from me in Buderim.

I am taking my 'lovely lady' to have a look this boat on Saturday - hopefully... His next is for himself & 'Cool Cat' will be cruising his 44C for a couple of years after that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  12. Meanz Beanz

Pictures would be cool if you have the time! Curious about the foward cockpit if it has that layout. I have seen some pictures on the web but its never enough :D

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Still in the shed, When it is launched I will do my best to record the event and post on this net:D Sorry for the "piracy" - but figured you may also be interested & (amazingly) actually is 'on topic?'

14. Meanz Beanz

Thanks, will look forward to it.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Heinz, My LL was impressed - so much so as to become silent... - overwhelmed, might be close....

Neil Bochow, is on his sixth build, and promised to burn a CD of past launchings. Some of which I will post as soon as they are in hand. He said the centre cockpit works very well but steals a lot of bridgedeck (cabin) space. The current build does not have this feature... build site is -26.632 deg S and 153.0 deg E on GoogleEarth. Anyone wishing to visit, PM me and I will give Neil Bochow's phone #.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.