spinnaker sock/tube designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jedkins, Sep 21, 2007.

1. jedkins

jedkins Junior Member

I have seen spinnaker systems on small sail boats like 59 er skiffs where the spinnaker is lowered and raised from wide tube. This looks far easier than using a conventional bag

Would anyone know of a design plan for this type of spinnaker system? I am looking for something for a 20' Tri.

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Maybe not

Hello

Kite chutes don't seem to work all that well on large boats, lots of drag with a wet chute and a pipe. 18ft skiffs tried them and went back to bags. I would think that the hassle, weight, complexity is not worth it in a large rig 20ft tri. A small rig and small kite may work well.

If you go ahead look at 49ers, 29ers, 505s and Flying Dutchman. They have or have had chutes.

cheers

Phil Thompson

3. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

I have seen chutes on Hobie Tigers and they are not so far from the size of your boat.Othe F18 cats may also be a source of ideas.