diesel transmission?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by ron17571, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Maybe I can put this to rest. I power a 4 1/2 ton sloop with a ten hp diesel with a 3:1 reduction gear turning a 13x15 three blade Propeller I can reach hull speed at about 2500 rpm on the engine, Just over 800 rpm on the propeller shaft. The engine, transmission, coupling, shaft, shaft seal and propeller and control cables, cost 5500 USD in 1999. At 1000 rpm my theoretical speed would be 15 kts. At 800 the theoretical speed is 12 kts. so slip is 50% within the expected range for this speed and size boat ( 30 ft loa 26 wl)

2. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

A motor that gets all it's torqe on at a low rpm and keeps it is the best.But we are talking about a small 3 or 4 cylinder motor a genaric stick it in or on whatever you want powerplant.the generator company buys the motor from Isuzu,Mitsubichi,Kubota,Yanmar,or you name it and sets the throtel arm with it's stops at 1800 or 3600 depending on how small a motor or how cheap of a back end they use or combo of the two and then let's them rip.the governor knows what to do ,when the load is aplied it puts the feul to it to maintain the RPM that the throtel arm was set at.Some generator companys use solinoids or servos to run the governor or throtel but thats what they made.In front of every generator is a nice sail boat motor. :cool:

3. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

Thats all cool Ssor but we are just having fun debating the use of small diesel engine aplications and there internals. :)

4. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

5. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

I never get tiered of looking at that thing.I love the built in ladders in the crank case.

6. Alexph

Alexph Junior Member

sorry but ive seen it time and time again them little diesels go on forever i looked after a small bait dragger for about 5 years it had a ferryman 2 cylinder diesel all i ever did to it was winterize it once a year for 2 months and it just kept doing its 8am - 6pm 6 days a week without hassle there is alot to be said for little nder stressed diesel engine tough as brick **** houses.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

How many hours do you put a year? A typical trawler puts 1,500 hours a year. Maybe we are comparing different things.

8. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

1500 hrs=8 hrs/day 5 days/week 9 months/year. I think he said 10hrs/day 6days/week 10months/year. Do the math.

9. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

Are you still hanging in there ron17571.

10. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Yeah ron17571, you started it!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.