Diesel Sterndrive

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by dick stave, Oct 14, 2007.

1. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Im starting a 20 ft. aluminum cabin cruiser project, and would like to use a diesel sterndrive powerplant in the 100- 120 hp range. Plans specify 800 lbs. maximum weight for engine and leg. I looked at the Cummins- Mercruiser 1.7 litre 120 hp, but the $18000 price tag prompts me to research altenatives that are a little more economical. Any ideas?

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

That sounds about right for the HP requirements you desire in diesel/stern drive. You could marry a different manufacture's diesel to the drive, but you'll find they are similarly priced per HP.

Frankly, with the space available on a 20' cabin cruiser, a not small amount of cockpit volume could be freed up with the installation of an outboard. Not to mention the 80% savings in propulsion costs.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

your 20 footer could be 22, and the motor on a jack or extension shaft so you can walk around the back of the engine box, done a few like this with the volvo 4 the big advantage if the diesel is that in chop and big seas it holds a coonstant speed, whereas with the outboard you a re constantlly on the throttle control As ol Par says, the diesel is expensive esp with the advent of 4 stroke outboards which are more fuel efficient than the old 2 cycle If I were doing big hrs like 500 a year I would chose the diesel, if just small usage I would stay with outboard--on a pod

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Lancing Marine has 145 HP Ford diesel engines that fit Mercruiser Alpha-1 stern drives. A bit heavier than the 1.7 ltr Cummins, but less expensive. They also supply kits to marinise several European car engines.
    www.lancingmarine.com

5. RAY TOSTADO

RAY TOSTADO Junior Member

In time the various auto diesels will become available at about 1/3 the cost. Or you could get one from a salvage yard and make the conversion yourself.

I did hear that someone is marketing the small block Ford line truck diesel.

You should be able to find a used OMC outdrive and make the adapators. Use fresh water cooling. I have a OMC bell housing on a 165 HP GMC gas in line 6. You can have the whole package for $100. (not the OD itself, just the bellhousing and lift pump) $150 for just the bell housing. Get the point?

LA, Cal.

6. dick stave

dick stave Senior Member

Thanks for your responses. I guess the question I am asking myself now is can you recover the extra cost of the diesel on resale? I can pick up a 3.0 litre mercruiser for approx. $6500.00 in the crate. Less weight and 20 more h.p. Is the diesel going to add significant value? You can buy a lot of gas for ten grand.

7. RAY TOSTADO

RAY TOSTADO Junior Member

I am not the right person to ask regarding gas Vs. diesel. I try to use only diesel. My boat, sail, my car VW, my standby home generator, all are diesel.

All of the above can run on cooking oil and perfume. Maybe soon city kitchen garbage will be squeezed and processed into fuel. I burn 1.3 an hour at 7 knots on my sail. I get 40 MPG on my car. My generator burns .2 gal an hour @6500W.

You might try shopping in the wake of the latest hurricane to hit Florida. Might be some good salvage bargains there.

I saw one video of a trailer and motor home factory that got hammered into dust. Real shame.

Ray

The future for gasoline is wide open to speculation. How much will there be in 20 years, at what price?

Here in So Cal USA gas powered engines really reduce the resale value of boats.

All depends on your personal user plans.

I have seen, years ago, mounting brackets on 20' boats that are 2' aft of the transom, leaving the cockpit open for use. This depends on whether your hull will balance with the weight extended that far back.

The comments of the cost Vs. savings are all valid. But OBs are not cheap by my standards unless you buy a used pair of 100s.

Check in your area for up coming legislation for OB and inboard engines regarding immissions. The feds and states are really getting rude.

8. CDK

CDK retired engineer

With crude oil hitting the $90 mark yesterday, it remains to be seen how much gas you can buy for your 10 grand in a couple of years from now. But I admit that the 1949-designed Merc 3,0LX is a lot cheaper than a modern diesel.

9. theoldwizard

theoldwizard Junior Member

Turbo Diesel Outboard

Turbo diesel outboard !

Q and A from Scream and Fly

2 sizes. 2.3L and 3.0L I4. Estimated weight of 725lbs. No HP published yet, but meant to compete with 225 and 300 HP 4 stroke.

First units will be for retrofit on to Merc 3.0L mid and lower units (could be a problem getting correct pitch prop) and will be available in 2008.

Complete outboard (obviously with proper gearing) will be available in 2009. (Think Bravo lower with some some extra gearing.)

No pricing. They may have a booth at the Miami Boat Show.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.