Diesel outboard

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Hastings Harry, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Hastings Harry

Hastings Harry Junior Member

Haha, the land of freedom! :):) If you do as we say!

Are you serious, you can't buy a whipper snipper or is it just the two stroke whipper snipper that is naughty?

Cheers Phil

2. Hastings Harry

I was having a few (too many) quiet beers at Warracknabeal lake one sunny afternoon with a few friends and this one particular skier was demonstrating confident competency as he circled.

When he came in we made a bet for $50 that he couldn't do 5 laps on a 6 ft fence paling. Most entertaining $50 I've ever lost.

Cheers Phil

3. Hastings Harry

Hi Fast Fred.

Gunna be interesting to see how it performs. I,ve often wondered how it would go on a boat if you put a bigger prop and a viscuous coupling to allow more slip at lower revs. Or a spring loaded prop where the pitch goes shorter under high load and the blades point forward/aft when the prop is not spinning. Dribble dribble.

Cheers Phil

4. Hastings Harry

Hiya Rusty

www.dieseloutboardsvictoria.com

There are photo's there too.

Cheers Phil

5. Hastings Harry

Don't stress Rusty, apologies not required. If you aren't looking right at the start you will not see it. Dante stole the video but I don't mind. I should have stuck my mug in there and I'd be famous!

Cheers Phil

6. rustybarge

rustybarge Cheetah 25' Powercat.

:):):)

7. Hastings Harry

The Diesel outboard is on the boat!

If I got it right there should be a photo of my motor on the back of my boat.:D I knew nothing about outboard motors when I bought this motor. I bought a 450mm leg ( no longer available- 550 mm only now) and tiller steer manual lift. Trying to adapt is a challenge. The motor is on the boat but still sits 30-40 mm too high. More fibreglassing ahead. Yuk. As experienced and knowledgable boat builders and modifiers, what do you think is best. Chop the clamps off and bolt the motor on, it fits perfectly or lower ( I dunno what it's called) the bit in front of the transom that stops all the water flooding into the boat when you slow down so the clamps can slide down far enough, a bigger job but probably look neater.

Have a good weekend, Cheers Phil

Attached Files:

• 076.jpg
      076.jpg
      File size:
      452 KB
      Views:
    • 075.jpg
      075.jpg
      File size:
      421.5 KB
      Views:
    • 055.jpg
      055.jpg
      File size:
      413.7 KB
      Views:
    • 059.jpg
      059.jpg
      File size:
      355.4 KB
      Views:
    • 056.jpg
      056.jpg
      File size:
      349.2 KB
      Views:
    • 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      481.8 KB
      Views:
    • 074.jpg
      074.jpg
      File size:
      245.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Is that box the cowl ? The average school kid could come up with something better !

BrissoDamo likes this.
  9. rustybarge

The OB height looks perfect to me; maybe tiny bit high, but give it a go at that setting to see how you get on before you start cutting the transom.......remember many people fit jack plates to raise and lower the outboard to get the perfect position for each speed range, so it's more of an art than a science!

10. rustybarge

11. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

if you can get 4 bolts in. 2 top and 2 bottom it will be fine without the clamps. is that an old carribean camaro hull.

12. Hastings Harry

Bolting on the 40 hp diesel outboard

Cheers guys,

Rusty, I decided to use the bolt on engine mounts off the old Johnson 55 hp. I can gain the final 30 mm I need to get the cav plate level with the keel and no more fibreglass boat mods.
    As you can imagine, everyone at the ramp will be watching when I fire up the vee twin diesel for the first time so I'm pretty keen to make sure everything is as good as I can set it up. I hate having to go back later to finish off, it never happens.

I have been wrestling with a recalcitrant motor pivot bolt. Seized solid on one side of the old motor mount. The motor pivot gets greased but the mount doesn't. Diesel is a wonderful substance when combined with heat. Finally freed up and came out last night. Only taken 2 weeks of gentle persuasion:) Why does everything about boats take so long?:D

Mr White, to the best of my knowledge the boat is an Aussie made Pride Explorer 17 Ft and mid- late 70's. But it came with a corvette badge so it must be real fast. I've seen two other boats since that have the same wide front. Very unloved when I had it given to me but friends talked me into fixing it up.

I should have listened to the voices in my head. Burn they said, burn!!

We are nearly there but the weather is cold now in Melbourne and evenings after work are nicer indoors with a dram of whiskey and a warm computer. Calamari season is upon us, gotta go there's a boat to build:)
    www.dieseloutboardsvictoria.com.

BrissoDamo likes this.
  13. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

nothing wrong with them hulls phil. Pride and caribean are the same . Both produced by international marine .

14. Hastings Harry

Cheers Mr White,

As I travel around the peninsula I am finding more and more of these boats stashed away in sheds and barns. The owners rarely want to part with them.

Diesel outboard update- After wrestling with the Johnson engine mounts for 2 weeks, they didn't fit. The Runsun engine mount is wider and the Johnson mount rubs on the Runsun motor. If I had a lathe and some brass or nylon I could adapt, no problems. Ah well, back to the Runsun mounts. I cut the clamps off, drilled and bolted and the height looks good now.

All bolted up, all electricals done and gearshift connected, lets see if it starts. Ooh, it does! Lets give it a rev. Man that sounds nice, lets give it another rev. Oops! Can you guess what I forgot to do that any outboard owner with half a brain knows. Yes, water. I have now successfully destroyed the water pump. Doh! Too much excitement (VB had nothing to do with it I assure you).

Apart from that, all seat mounts are now fibreglassed and the floor has its first coat of paint, we are not far away.

Cheers Phil

Just a quick question, do normal outboard motors run coolant thermostats?

BrissoDamo likes this.

15. Hastings Harry

Diesel outboard project

Photo #1. The new woodgrain dashboard with RUNSUN gearshift and throttle assy fitted, and testing the nav lights.

#2 How the boat came.

#3 I am a bit suss about this floor.

#4 The spiders were plentiful under the front. Nearly as many as VB cans.

Cheers Phil

Attached Files:

• 043.jpg
      043.jpg
      File size:
      211.3 KB
      Views:
    • 595.jpg
      595.jpg
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 602.jpg
      602.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 598.jpg
      598.jpg
      File size:
      60 KB
      Views:
    BrissoDamo likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.