Diesel outboard

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Hastings Harry, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Meanwhile Harold of Hastings has done a bunk, and left those wondering about these diesel outboards' usefulness, in the lurch. Hopefully they last longer than Harry's tolerance for awkward questions !

2. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Yup, and just bought some land in BC because the winter is sickening here.

I'm not trying to get into a TQ or HP argument, but what I am getting at, is that is that power needs on a boat I think that if it draws say 400 ft/lbs @ 2000 RPM, it will probably only draw 100 ft/lbs @ 1000 RPM, so I don't think the low end TQ a diesel has can really help much as the power needed increases so much towards the higher end prop speed.

There is a way of explaining this better than I have, I know that.

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I just had a browse through the op s website. You can have one of those wonderful un proven diesel outboards for $8000 +295 for remotes and another 895 for power tilt. Just don't ask questions while you hand over your money. I am disappointed hastings harry ran away. I would have liked to see how he got on with the motor he was sorting out. One thing I wonder is what does he tell his customers about getting the engine to run to spec. Find a mate with a lathe and turn the prop down till she revs right.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

How about explaining why a diesel with same hp number as a petrol engine goes so much slower?

5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Gearing and or extra weight

6. dinoa

dinoa Senior Member

7. whitepointer23

Harrys 40 hp outboard is now advertised on gumtree for $10,000 aud . It comes with 12 month/1000 hour warranty. He claims it is not a fast motor but can push a 20 ton barge.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, being "not fast", or able to push a barge, any better than an ordinary motor. I doubt the thing had a gearcase suited to the latter anyway.

9. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

HP rating.

Gas (auto) engines are rated it peak HP , what might be available going for a few seconds from 0-100 mph.

Diesels (esp industrial or even big 18 wheel truck) are rated more realisticaly nin terms of the HP produced and time.

A 400 "HP" (6000rpm) gas engine can weigh 400 lbs , the diesel 1200lbs to 2400lbs or more, depending on service life desired.1200-2100 rpm

The gas engine might be useful in a boat at 60-75 hp if of superior construction..

10. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

There is a company working on consumer diesel for EU/USA market, huge project, designed from scratch.

11. whitepointer23

The 60 hp turbo version has the same ratio gearbox and rev range and props so I don't know what the extra 20 hp is for. Yes fred I understand the difference between petrol and diesel power and torque. I really hoped harrys outboards would be good but I am not prepared to spend 10 grand to find out . The importer doesn't seem to have any idea. Maybe his sydney agent with the mobile coffee stand might have more knowledge.:D

12. whitepointer23

An outboard ?.

13. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

yes sure is

14. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The military is concerned with the multiple fuels required to operate its toys.

The latest is being built for small UAV , diesel fuel is pressurized to 30,000psi and squirted into the cylinder , BUT the ignition is by a spark , not by compression.

This allows std gas engine light weight construction , no diesel knock, and the ability to burn diesel (very clean diesel) or jet fuel kerosene.

Wont be long to outboards, if they can get past the Air Police?

15. whitepointer23

Isn't there a multi fuel military version etec outboard . I thought someone posted one on here a while ago.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.