Best 150 HP

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by High Pursuit, Jul 7, 2013.

1. High Pursuit

High Pursuit New Member

Hi Folks - Well I've been reading reviews and forums on the internet and I'll tell you, it's enough to make your head spin around and around. So I'm thinking about re-powering my 1987 Pursuit 2600 Cuddy. Currently I have twin 150 HP late 90's Yamaha two strokes. I'm looking into some of the newer 4 strokes, verses 2 strokes and the torque curves, maintenance, etc. I like the idea of four strokes (no oil injection, quieter, etc.) but I don't want to give up performance. It seems allot of people are loyal to a certain brand rather than the actual specs. Does anyone know where I can find an OB "shootout" type of chart? Or share your experience and research I just want to buy what is best for my model.

And then there's the whole idea of to one 300 HP rather than the twin 150's.

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

A single engine is always more economical to operate. Twin engines allow you to steer
    better in tight conditions and can provide added thrust if you are pushing a very heavy boat. My build is 30'- o6" x 8'-6" and I have decided on a single main engine with a 10 hp high thrust kicker engine for fishing and emergencys. I am money ahead on purchase and money ahead on operation. And if I just want to putcz around I'll use the 10 hp. My 2 bits.

3. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

An engineer told me: "You only use Two engines when you cannot get the HP you need out of one engine!"

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

If you give up your 2x 150's you wont need 300 to get the same speed and performance possibly a single 250 could do the same job . there's usually a big weight reduction not only from the motors but all the other things that go with twin rigs . then theres less water drag and when all is set and done there could be the bonus of better economy and a speed gain !!.
    Best place I know of is BOATTEST.COM to check out motors and performance data !! :idea:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.