Diesel LPG engine...

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by Mick@itc, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

Hi all. Can a diesel engine be converted to an LPG/propane engine??
    Regards
    Mick

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Yes !

Conversion of existing marine diesel engines: Dutch link -- Google translation

New MAN two-stroke dual-fuel LPG (and LNG) - Diesel (and heavy fuel oil) Engines: Dutch link -- Google translation

And here a MAN link + 5 pages more of MAN LPG links and 10 pages of MAN LNG links but some of them double with the LPG links.

May I ask why you're asking, what you're planning . . ? ?

Good luck..!!
    Angel

3. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

Thank you Angel.
    What I am researching is the use of propane or LPG in propelling te boat rather than diesel. I have a senior crew member who gets sick at the smell do diesel so every time we charter we end up having a minor domestic about the smell. So given I am building a cat I am looking at alternatives. Electric is nice but even then there must be a ICE genset on board. So if I am going to have an ICE I need to find a better solution than diesel. It really comes down to petrol or LPG/propane. Petrol is simply out for me so need to look at LPG/propane. I have contacted some auto conversion places here in oz that convert petrol cars to LPG or dual fuel. I believe that the parts and infrastructure exists for a boat to have a LPG/propane engine, especially here in Oz. I'm sure that this is not the case in every port around the world.
    So right now I am researching what it would take to get a LPG/propane genset or propulsion motor.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Mick

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

So we're talking about a small engine here . . . . so maybe better to convert a petrol engine to LPG . . ;)

For the genstet, Google: "LPG genset" and "LPG generator"

Good luck !
    Angel

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Isn't it much simpler to repair fuel leaks or find a better location for the tank vent?
    The only times when I am confronted with diesel smell are at the gas station. Passenger cars with diesel engines also have no smell but those with an LPG installation have the typical exhaust smell caused by an LPG additive that warns you if there is a leak.

By now you will have seen that converting a diesel to LPG is not a real option, unless you consider $ 20 000 a fair price.

If you are determined to use LPG, have an old fashioned gasoline engine with carbs converted.

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

If you use LP in a diesel you lose all of its advantages. Safety and fuel economy. If you had a fuel leak in gas or LP you would not be here talking about it. Funny you never mention the real smelly part of a diesel the exhaust. I ran biodiesel for a while boat smelled like French fries.

7. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

Yes, Trace hates that exhaust smell too...but I am really really careful of the wind direction and her being below when the engine is running is a no no!

Looking for anything to help her live the boat life...

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Bio does not smell like french fries . Only if french fries have been cooked it it does it smell like that.

If you make up your own stuff it will smell --proper bio from a station does not smell., I use it---- Always.

Boats do not smell either only leaky boats smell. Fix your leaks and your good to go.

9. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

If I engine dry exhaust, make it taller and more towards rear. If wet exhaust, make it disperse water better. If you use non-sulfur diesel like used on trucks, it is a little easier than marine diesel that has more sulfur. Don't know if it is the same is Aussieland

10. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Sometimes my truck smelled like french fries, sometimes like fish depending on fuel load. It made for hearty appetites at noon time. Sometimes by 10 am my crew was starving. We all lost weight when we switch to regular fuel.

Oh, yes we are talking about exhaust fumes not liquid smell.

11. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

LPG generators...

Thanks for the LPG generators info...they are very interesting and have opened a whole new idea to me...
    Mick

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

LPG has a nausiating smell and is designed to do,-- so that its smell is not ignored and that action is taken before smell+ leak+boom =hospital.

Its one of those smells that burns itself into the brain so you smell it even when its gone --Give me deisel anyday.

In Europe LPG cookers are not allowed anymore and you want to go LPG.

Its not the way to go just for the smell problem

13. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

gas diesel is far too complicated for your needs. you are building a cat so fit twin 4 stroke outboards, you won't even know they are running. to say petrol is out for you is silly. the new outboards are quiet and smokeless. i am suprised that you are building a boat given the lack of home work you have done on the engineering. i am not trying to insult you but i think you need to look into more conventional solutions rather than what you are doing now. a friend of mine delivered his big cat from queensland to w.a with twin 9.9 4 strokes and they didn't miss a beat the whole trip, he actually removed two diesels and converted to outboards because they are quiet and removable for maintenance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.