engine replacement

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by cattelona, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

hi, a friend wants to put a ford 2.5 t d transit engine in his boat he has a knackered ford 2.5 d i he hopes that the existing heat exchanger will cope but i have my doughts should he put a cooler on the turbo to inlet manifold ? as the turbo i think may run hotter does anyone have experience of this type of conversion .
    cheers
    nick

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Turbo installation on boats need a well designed exhaust. The engineroom will not have the same ventilation as a road vehicle, which may cause extremely high temperatures. From what you are saying, he is replacing a normally aspirated engine with a turbocharged. If the turbo is liquid cooled, he will need a bigger heat exchanger. The raw water pump may not have enough flow also.

3. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

thank you gonzo for your reply yes I think he may be opening a can of worms changing to a turbo charged engine unless he addresses all the problems like extra heat , I suggested he might need a cooler on the turbo to inlet manifold as I have seen a few turbo marine engines and they all seem to have them, he has been told by bowman heat exchangers ltd that it is not needed , also this friend is starting the job this weekend with help from a guy he knows who services outboards , I can see that he is going to spend a lot of money and will only find out any problems when he has towed it to weymouth 70 miles and put the engine under strain , I suggested to him to fit a larger cooler & raw water pump anyway as it should not make any difference as long as the thermostat is in good order , also to increase the vents in the engine cover this would be no problem as his boat is a 22ft wilson flyer , I will keep you posted, also where is a good place to get both my volvo 200 legs serviced and get parts as one tilt motor is faulty.
    many thanks
    nick

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

An exhaust blower to move the air in the engineroom could help too. They are not too expensive.

5. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Lancing marine has a list of what you need to convert the Transit engine, it is their favorite marine conversion engine. To obtain 130-140 hp it does need an air cooler.

Your friend better not underestimate the time and expense for this project!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.