Diesel Engines What to buy?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by 48Sedan, May 15, 2005.

1. notlostmaybe

notlostmaybe New Member

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

There is NO SUCH thing as just "sticking in a diesel".

unless you have loads of experience (will be doing all the work yourself) and are willing to drop about $30,000 in the boat .

Rebuilding your existing engines would run about $1200 each , plus probably new manifolds.

My choice would be a modern pair of Crusaders , of the same aprox HP as the old 318's. this would add value to the boat , be easier to install, Gas V8 for Gas V8 and would not require new fuel tanka , stuffing box , shaft and prop.

And would not require the engine beds to be rebuilt for a heavier engine.Just modified for a different footprint.

www.1800runsnew.com

is one of many places to price a new pair of engines.

FAST FRED

3. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

My $0.02 worth; (i'm more familiar with outboards and small sterndrives....)

Gas V8 for gas V8 is the easiest way to do the refit. If you want to replace the engines (instead of rebuild) then Fred's Crusaders are a good bet in gas; Crusader has good warranties and a good reputation.

Having said that, if it were my boat, I'd be looking for a comparable pair of diesels. Why? Diesels are inherently more reliable and more fuel-efficient than gas engines. Modern Deere, Yanmar, Volvo, and other diesels are not a whole lot heavier than their gas counterparts. Everything past the transmission output could stay the same except for the prop, which I'd replace anyway with the new motors. You can convert a fuel system from gas to diesel, but not vice-versa (gasoline is more dangerous and so gas systems are built to tougher standards).

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The labor to remove and replace engines would be the same whether you keep your engines or not. A rebuild is about $2,500 per engine. I think it would be your cheapest choice. To replace with diesels it would cost you another $40,000 at least. At today's prices that is 16,000 gallons of fuel.

6. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

Dude go for it make a boat out of that dieing old gas bomb.Spend some money and have a yacht.to hell with a winibego/pickup truck motor.Gas is for broke retards

7. ron17571

ron17571 Junior Member

diesels

Its a matter of if its cost effective to go thru all the work and money to replace gas engines that are cheap to rebuild.Im a truck driver and like diesels but the old 318,s were preety damn reliable.do the math and figure out how much u really use the boat and right now diesel is more per gallon than gas.

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Powertech: diesel engines won't make a yacht out of a boat. As for retards, someone who starts all his threads with "dude" shouldn't be talking.

9. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

lazeyjack

I would put in a pair of 4 cylinder John Deeres rated 85 bhp they will run at any speed, low or higher, and still have warranty Yanmar warranty stipulates that you run your engine at higher revs, You can get the same engine rated way up turbocharged and aftercooled, but the naturally apirated ones are all you need for displacement speeds, fact you will achieve displacement speed with one spinning and using about 2 gals an hour
    These Deers are one of the few if not the only small wet liner engines around, and they are cheap I used to fit the 4b cummins but they are expensive and allthough virtually the same spec as the Deere, they are bored in the block, like a car motor

10. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

in saying that I do not know our boat, is it a planing boat? what is the water line length, what size prop can you swing, and what are the pitch and diameter you have now, you see, you may be able to use same with different ratio boxes, tell me all, I have 38 years hands on engine and boatbulding experience, you can email if you wish hearnyacht@iprimus.com.au,
    I'm laid up in bed at the mo' so I can give you some time

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"These Deers are one of the few if not the only small wet liner engines around, and they are cheap "

Do you get them from the tractor shop and marinize yourself , or purchase as marine unit?

FAST FRED

12. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

no marine, fully warrented marine engine with your choice gear, twin disc, herth, prm warner, stright, downangle 7 degrees, ice cream you got it

13. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

On two different occasions last summer I asked diesel mechanics what they'd put in their own boat if they had carte blanche. Both said Deere, for economy, reliability, and ease of maintenance/repair.

To whoever thinks Lehmans are outdated -- we run an 80hp in an 18 ton, 50' sailboat, and burn a hair over a gallon an hour at 1800rpm and 8kt. The unit probably has 5000hr on it and runs like a top. My guess is it will go 2-3 times this long w/ no trouble. The only downside to it compared to a "modern" engine is the weight, which isn't a problem for us. Volvos, Yanmars, etc. run at much higher RPM which is noisier, and I doubt they're as durable.

14. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

To me the doun side is I canot sell you a new Lehman And the new perkins are over priced and ****.But there are a wonerfull new deere.Deere is to trawling what lehman used tro be.If you want a motor to shut up and do it's job for the next 20 years like your old lehman it's time to get a deere.

15. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"To whoever thinks Lehmans are outdated -- we run an 80hp in an 18 ton, 50' sailboat, and burn a hair over a gallon an hour at 1800rpm and 8kt.'

Your burning a gallon an hour sez your churning out 16 to 18HP ,

It takes a great engine design to withstand such severe underloading , with out wet stacling , burnishing the cylinder walls and all the other maladies.

You could get the same speed with a 3 cylinder Kubota of 30 rated hp , better fuel burn , and have an extra 1000+ lbs of load for somthing more usefull than cast iron.

Beer Perhaps?

The Deere are fine engines but way !!! overpriced ,
    What is your cost of an 85 with T/D?

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.