Volkswagen diesel powered sport fisherman

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by GeoffSChapman, Feb 28, 2005.

1. GeoffSChapman

GeoffSChapman Junior Member

I've just finished designing/building a 6m sport fisherman (inspired by Edgewater, Mako etc) but powered by a Volkswagen inboard diesel with a Bravo II z drive. The engine is a marinised (by Volkswagen) version of the utility 5 cylinder 2.5 litre engine used in the transporter and LT series I believe. Anyway it works really well. The boat weighs 900kilos engineless and 1t300 with the engine and transmission. It is also quite wide 2m55. I get 30knots and good seakeeping for it's size. It turns flat like a kart!
    Geoff
    Uniquest Marine :)

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

The old 4 cylinder VW boat motors were abject failures.

Could not maintain even 50% of rated power with out disaster.

Will be interesting to see how long this attemp runs .

FAST FRED

3. GeoffSChapman

GeoffSChapman Junior Member

The test boat has been running since august and almost always flat-out and up to now it's looking good :!:

4. Ssor

Ssor Senior Member

Volkswagen is the worlds largest producer of industrial engines in the world. Must not mistake their automotive engine as an example of their industrial engines.

5. Alexph

Alexph Junior Member

ah have to correct you there i think you will find caterpillar are the largest producers of industrial engines

6. mattotoole

mattotoole Senior Member

VW may be a large producer of industrial engines, but the marinized VW automobile/truck engines common in the 70s and 80s were indeed a disaster.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.