Diesel Electric Conversions - Are Systems Available

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Barron, Sep 25, 2009.

1. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

Cast iron air cooled diesel next to my boat is 45 years old, fishing each year, 6 months a year.
    You really think that an aluminium casting will change that much life expextancy ? I don't
    Now it would be cool when new, to take of each bolt off and replace covered with coper grease to avoid electrolyse as well as a perfect grounding and vermish all that can be protected

Belt is given for at least 1000 of hours, but i agree, getting rid of it is better.

Here in France i find 7KW diesels groups for 900$ so i guess that under that price you should get the aluminium engine only.

Please do not forget that on a light sailing boat, the use of the group will be minimum, so a petrol engine could be more than enough if finding a correct priced diesel is too difficult.

2. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Perhaps its diffrent in France, but in the US when we say "motor" we are talking of the electric variety, and when we say engine we are talking the gas or diesel powered type.

On an air cooled gas or diesel engine with a belt powering the electric wire wound motor to produce electricity, your going to have huge corrosion problems on the electric motor winding. Thus your life expectancy on your $1000 motor is going to be 1 month to 1 day. My opinion.

K9

3. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

sorry for confusion, in french this is the same word motor for both : Moteur

What could be the technical reason of this very fast corrosion ?

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Leave it to the French - A baguette!!!

Crumbs! Baguette Leads To Scientific Setback

The massive machine at the centre of the world's biggest scientific experiment has malfunctioned again – derailed by a bit of bread.
    The Hadron Collider, buried 100m under the ground near Geneva, Switzerland, is supposed to recreate conditions seen after the Big Bang.
    It is hoped the £4.4bn machine will shed light on the event that many scientists believe gave birth to the universe around 14 billion years ago, but the project has suffered a series of setbacks.

The latest saw a "bit of baguette" fall onto machinery, causing a fault.
    Sections of the machine, which fires protons round a 17-mile-long tunnel at close to the speed of light in order to smash them into each other, then overheated.
    Members of the public who had been looking at data published online noticed the temperature changes and contacted journalists at The Register.
    They alerted those in charge of the project at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (Cern).
    Is the machine self-sabotaging? In all seriousness, that the machine is sabotaging itself - from the future.
    The theory is that the particle that physicists hope to produce might be "abhorrent to nature", so that once created it would work backwards through time to put a stop to whatever created it. We are getting into Kistinie territory here. Now, mechanical devices are conspiring...

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Hey Kistinie, at least post some photographs/images of your creation in operation... and web links to the products mentioned...

6. wardd

wardd Senior Member

during ww2 in the us aircraft industry the terms engine and motor were defined by the way the fuel left the device, if it left the same as it arived that was a motor, ie air hydrolic electric, engines converted their fuel usually in a combustion process

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

Kristine,
    I´m sure you would benefit from merging your activities with our other scientists here:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...ic-bottle-island-floating-platform-30051.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/concrete-submarine-24361-32.html
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/my-impossible-mission-29565.html

unbelievable innovative (as your ideas), thoroughly engineered, environmental friendly, and always a joy to read about!

But take care they experiment with such stuff as Dihydrogen - monoxide, and Hydroxyl - acid.

Give it a shot, it might change your life.

And when purchasing a chinese Diesel (yes there are some cheap, even 30hp is well below 1000$), make sure the only electronic device is a governor with a WROM = (write only memory), all others will fail soon.

Really

8. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

There's a time and place for everything.

A $200 air cooled Chinese diesel (if u buy from manufacturer) to supply your needs on a boat is a false economy.

They're great for occasional non essential use.

Spend the money and get a Kubota EA .
    Mine has 3000 hours on it.
    My brother has one pumping water on his farm,it's at 13,000 hours.

Not a single problem with either

9. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

For the baguette, i'm not guilty i was 400 miles from Genova
    For the time distortion, it is a true possibility ...among many others much more incredible and very funny facts, we cannot really explain today, unless we rewrite our official history.

Strong magnetic fields from PM motors turning high speed is not doing a good cohabitation with computers, that is true.
    I totally agree with this

You already had the "watt and sea" and "eole water" link to have an idea what i'm doing as the technical solution used here is in the same spirit of my project.

For the rest you will have to wait, Hulls repair got longer and more expensive than budgeted so the energy part of the project is only really starting now.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Ja ja, since two years now!

A loong start.......:p

And have you seen a WROM by now?

11. kistinie

kistinie Hybrid corsair

True ! It is a real problem, when you are on holidays all year, you do not care enough about time.
    I will try to hurry more for the energy side.

By example, SD SanDisk Worm are 128M°, but i do not have the price yet.
    Now, as long as it is a prototype a pic will be enough.
    By the way, new engine calculators are not all wrom.
    Do you really think it is a major cause of problem ?
    I rather see here the dead captors dance on new outboard !

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

WROM = (write only memory)

ahhja
    life is hard

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Errr, I beg to offer a different response
    ROM is Read Only MEMORY, WROM is ROM that can be re-written in certain cases, Write-able Read Only Memory = WROM
    EEPROM is Erasable-or-Electronically Programable Read Only Memory (similar effect) which usually has electronic circuits that facilitate re-writing the "permanent" data (programs) usually contained therein (like when your digital camera gets a bug fix of an operating update)... Some of the earlier chips needed UV exposure to erase the content and allow a re-write...

14. CDK

CDK retired engineer

No Masalai, you are on the wrong track.
    Some people write such a bloody nonsense that nobody should ever read again, they really need a WROM. I think that's what Richard meant.

15. masalai

masalai masalai

OK, I accept your advice with grace...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.