shifter question

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by PowerTech, Apr 6, 2005.

1. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

I instaled a little westerbeke propulsion engine monday.I think it is a 27 horse power or around there.IT is the same little 3 cylinder used on the 5.0 bcd generator.Any way the shifter lever is on the binacal and is built into it and there is a lever on one side for throtel and on the other side is for shift.I needed to change the throw of the cable to push for forward insted of pull like the old gear box needed. I removed the compass from the binacale and discoverd there is not another spot on the shifter to conect the cable to change the direction the cable moves.The lever on the transmition is not removable if it was I would turn it around 180 and move the cable bracket and it would be all set.And I cant come at the shift lever from forward with the cable because it is to close to the bellhousing.I can take a strip of aluminum and bolt it to the transmition lever and move the cable bracket to the other side of the gear box and that would do it.Or I could make a new cable bracket that has a 90 degre little L on it were on one and the cable conects to and on the other side a small tie rod conects it to the transmition shift lever made out of all 1/4" allthred and small hiemjoints.Those two things are a pain in the arse and takes up time.I was hoping there is a box you conect the cable to and it changes the direction of movement in side and you conect anothe cable to it on doun to your gear box or watever.I know how important safty is control conections and whatever I do will be good and stout.I see how it would work the two cables pointing at each other bolted to a plate conected to each other with a bridge that pivots in the midle so when one cable pulls it pushes the other. But I just want to buy something and install it.Thank you

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Do it! :D

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Find a better shifter , many can be hooked up to push or pull to operate.

I prefer the single lever style , hooked up that pushing foward has the boat GO foward , pulling back to GO back.

Makes docking with the current and across the wind a bit easier , when everything is intuative, and you HAVE to pass thru neutral , closed throttle on every shift.

FAST FRED

4. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

Single levers are cool and are reversable.tricking out the transmition lever ain't so bad a job and leaves the control of the boat the way he was used to.But man would i like a push pull cable switcharue box.The costomer says it ain't no big deal and he can live with it, now thats a cool dude but I don't like it.Sence he can live with it it may be hard to sell him on half a day of labor and 2 or 3 hundred bucks in parts for a new controler{removing the old levers out of the binacale and pluging the holes cuting a hole for the new box and mounting hooking up cabels and adjusting the throw clean up and drive time. Or measure up lever then back to shop drill press and saw install and adjust with the usual hasel of one off custom made parts.I am sure I can talk him in to whatever I want thoe I just want something easy I geuse Because I am so sick with broncitus if you notice the time of day and dates I am posting on.I should be doun in a hole somewere wrenching.Thank you

5. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

I thought a " bellcrank " would always be able to reverse direction and adjust the amount of "throw" needed. The bellcrank can be installed anywhere in the control run that is the easyest to put it in.

6. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

thanks I would like to buy one .I can make one but don't want to screw with it if I don't have to.Thank you.I am just hoping to find a sourse

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.