1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

3/4" AB marine plywood for sale

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by joeL77, Oct 2, 2010.

1. joeL77

joeL77 Junior Member

I have 25 4X8 sheets of 3/4" AB marine plywood for sale. Original price was $85. Now selling for $55. It is located in Delaware but I could deliver for an additional fee.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What manufacture is marked on the plywood? Is their a marine "conformity" stamp/label? What species is used in the panel construction, though at this price I'll have to assume it's Douglas fir? Is an adhesive use mark or documentation available? Currently I can get 3/4 XL marine grade Douglas fir for $50 locally, but I have a client that can pick up from you in Delaware. If the price is right, I'll take all 25 sheets, but they will have to survive inspection and will need some documentation as to the WBP aspect of the adhesive and physical construction to BS-6566 (or better ) specs.

3. joeL77

joeL77 Junior Member

All I know is that the stamp on the edge of the sheets reads, "PENPLY-MARINE-A-B-EXT-APA-2-PSI-07 3/4 CATEGORY". Let me know what you think, I would like to get rid of them soon.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

PenPly is just getting back into business and I don't trust them yet, though this doesn't mean they don't produce a reasonable product. The PS 1-07 code isn't the marine grade mark I'd expect from an APA recommendation sheet. I would expect to see a PS-1-95.

The PS 1-07 is the former version of PS 1-09, a voluntary plywood grading system used in the USA. This grade is listed as an exterior 1 panel, which means not for submersion, though my APA documentation may not be current.

The best thing you can do is tell me about the plywood. Do you know how to recognize the difference between a marine grade sheet and a regular sheet?

How many veneer layers? Are there voids along the edges, how big and how many? Are there visible repairs on either face? how many and what type. What color is the glue line? A quick inspection will determine if they are marine grade, if you know what to look for. Where in Delaware are they located?

5. joeL77

joeL77 Junior Member

There are 7 veneer layers.
    Very, very few voids. The biggest is probably 1/2 inch.
    There are football shaped repairs. Between 5-9 on each.
    Glue line is black.
    Located in Lincoln, DE.

6. joeL77

joeL77 Junior Member

Somebody make me an offer. I want to get rid of this stuff!!!!!

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

1/2" void is pretty bad. I would say it is an exterior grade ply. Maybe good enough for bulkheads and interior work.

8. joeL77

joeL77 Junior Member

Anybody want it for $40 a sheet??? I don't have any use for it

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.