Diamonds are for ever Cuttin fibreglass

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by aboyd, Jul 25, 2009.

1. aboyd

aboyd Junior Member

I ve been doin a hardtop to centre console project on my 25' Grew and have been bashin with my recipe chopin with the skill sawcursin with my lips and then I went to the depot and bought a diamond cut off wheel for my Dremmel and life was great. One hand on the Dremmel the other one my shop vac beauty no more itchin...

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Rub baby power or corn starch into your skin before you start and it will reduce the itching dramatically. Of course dust control and protective clothing are a plus too.

3. aboyd

aboyd Junior Member

had a couple tyvek suits but always seemed to shred them in no time and they are to expensive to keep replacing. thanks for the info on the baby powder, corn starch trick.

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I should note, for the Canadians, that those diamond-powder blades go on sale at Princess Auto every few months for a very small fraction of their normal retail cost....

5. offshoreonly

offshoreonly Junior Member

I have been using a painter's suit from Eastwood for a couple years now. It does breathe somewhat, so long sleeves and jeans underneath along with the baby powder are your best best. I can now grind for hours at a time and not itch one bit. There is also a yellow colored tyvec suit that holds up quite well and can also be washed. Not sure on the price as I was given a couple.

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Fiberglass is soft.... Even a dull diamond blade spinning at 6000 rpm will cut it fine... Psst... don't tell anyone...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.