Diamond Sweepback

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by catsketcher, Jul 28, 2015.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Hello all
    Does anyone have experience with the calculations on sweepback on diamonds on a mast. I am building my mast now and can go out and measure some boats moored nearby but someone may have some numbers.

I will also be able to have some lowers/intermediates coming from the diamonds to stop forward pumping. The boat is solid and not flexible.

cheers

Phil

2. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Hi Phil
    Have you made any progress?

The reason for my question being, the guys were discussing this Friday and suggested a GL paper available on masts and rigging, we can scan and email you if you don't already have it.

We have recently been discussing the same thing with Southern spars, they analised a rig for us, surprisingly they suggested a minimal increase in spreader rake made quite a difference and also suggested we move the rotation point aft this creating a complementary moment to the few degrees extra spreader rake.

I am sure we have other information in archive I could scan for you also.
    I am available direct on admin@ezifoldyachts.com.

Brooke and Team Ezifold

QUOTE=catsketcher;744865]Hello all
    Does anyone have experience with the calculations on sweepback on diamonds on a mast. I am building my mast now and can go out and measure some boats moored nearby but someone may have some numbers.

I will also be able to have some lowers/intermediates coming from the diamonds to stop forward pumping. The boat is solid and not flexible.

cheers

Phil[/QUOTE]

3. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

That would be good to read the article. I used to have one by a Kiwi designer but seem to have mislaid it

cheers

Phil

philthompson67@gmail.com

4. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Missed this one. I guess your mast is fixed, not rotating, as if so then the genoa leech position will determine sweep back. I generally use between 10-15 deg but rigger seem to do their own thing, whatever I say

You certainly want some sweepback and of course, balance the stay forces. But I think you know all this anyway.

Richard Woods

Richard Woods

5. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Phil
    Check your in box.

Regards
    Brooke and Team Ezifold

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.