cat / mono rig size

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by whitepointer23, Jun 11, 2012.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

i think i might be repeating someone elses question but if you had a 25 ft cat , what size mono would have the same size sailrig., i am curious to see how much more sail cats carry.

2. sawmaster

sawmaster Senior Member

Hi whitepointer:your question is not easily answered.Some wide, displacement type catboat style monohulls may carry about the same area as a cruising (not racing) similar sized catamaran.There is not even a general ratio without knowing what type of cat versus what type of mono .

3. whitepointer23

Thanks for the reply, I am talking about bermudan rigs, full displacent mono hull.

4. sawmaster

sawmaster Senior Member

hey whitepointer:-sorry for taking so long to reply,had to get off this site for work--just now getting back to the computer.--In your original post,you stated you were curious about how much more sail cats carry,as if it is a given,that a particular sized cat would always carry more sail than the mono,this is not true,as a smaller, narrower, cruising type cat could be reasonably be designed to actually carry the same,or less sail than say, a large, freedom style "full displacement monohull of the same length --Although its true that MOST cats do carry somewhat more sail than Most similar sized monos there are simply too many variables to generate a meaningfull ratio.I suppose a person could look up the stated sail areas of a certain number of cats of all different types,but same l.o.a(racing,cruising,expermental hydrofoil, etcetera ),add them together and divide by the number of types,to get an "average",do the same for an equal number of monohullsof the same length(catboats,coastal cruisers,extreme racers,etcetera,)to get a rough ratio,but I fail to see how the number thus derived would be of any use whatsoever.

5. whitepointer23

the reason i asked the question is if i was to build a cat to suit the rig off my ferro boat which i bought very cheap. the ferro boat is a pig to go forward on because it has a whaleback cabin, i have already torn the ligaments in 1 knee when i was trying to reef in a blow. if i keep this boat i would like to convert to a junk rig if possible so i can stay in the cockpit. the alternative is to remove everything off it and use for another boat. a tri might be a good option to.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.