diagonal planking

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Boston, May 8, 2009.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Her's what it's shaped like Terry.

Attached Files:

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Thanks Paul. The stem is neat and the rake of the mast seems to complement it nicely.

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Epoxy should never be used as "Paint", because it deteriorates quickly with exposure to the ultra violet in sunlight.
    I prefer to refer to it as a protective coating. Good quality marine polyurethane paints bond exceptionally well to an epoxy surface without an underlying primer and since they usually contain an anti UV element they also protect the underlying epoxy coating.
    I have a little book on boatbuilding with a particular brand of epoxy, which shows a picture of a boats transom saying "Magnificent Mahogany Grain Finishes which will stand up to sea and sun are possible using ----epoxy plus a clear polyurethane with UV filter. This 28' boats transom is an example".

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Epoxy should never be used as "Paint",

...very true, NEVER can it be used as paint, but I think that expression was more as a description of layering more so than actually painting, but you are very right, it must be always covered.

5. wardd

wardd Senior Member

here's something you could build

Attached Files:

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Send me some money and I built one, a Ferris hull like this one of wood ordered by the Emergency Fleet Corporation in the 1917. I have the set of plan. Look at the construction of the stern planking, quite nice.
    I have to order a million board feet of fir, so don't waste to much time to send the check, the mill is waiting ;)

[​IMG]

7. wardd

wardd Senior Member

this is a ferris wooden ship

want the link for the book about then?

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

9. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I have several book about this period of shipbuilding, mostly the Ferris design. But I will be interrested to know the one you have, please send a link.

10. wardd

wardd Senior Member

see post above

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Thank you for the link.
    I have the first one, and printed the second one also.

Boston I apologise, I am hitchhiking your thread, I will get out now.

I love so much these wooden ship that I can control myself when i see a picture like this Ferris.

But I should know better.

Daniel

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

eh dont worry about it

welcome to the pile

B

13. Boston

Boston Previous Member

nice hull shape Par

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...262d1288731996-diagonal-planking-byyb-137.jpg

looks like it would be a lot faster than the typical friendship sloop
    if I remember you mentioned 28' which on a friendship would mean a beam of about 9'4"
    whats your draft and led# if I might ask
    I'd guess the draft at a bit under 40" and the led at about 4.5 tons, the mast would be about 31' off the deck and likely out of carbon cause at that shallow a draft and reduced displacement you would need to have a similar reduction in weight aloft in order to maintain the traditional rig. My guess is that thing would blow the doors off the completion at the friendship sloop races even if it did slip a bit more going upwind.

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Now that we have heard about this method so often, I would like to know more Paul.
    What exactly is Lords method?

Regards
    Richard

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.