Wakeboard/Ski boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by reedesigner, Aug 8, 2006.

1. reedesigner

reedesigner Industrial Designer

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted here before, but have really enjoyed looking at some of the designs that are posted. I was wondering though, about Wakeboard and Skiboat design. Is this usually an in-house kind of thing done by Mastercraft, Tige, SAN, etc? Or is it done by smaller outside design firms?

The reason that I ask, is that it seems like this field is exploding right now with boats that look more and more like they've been done by a designer, not just an engineer. I'd love to learn more about the field, and any info would be great!

Thanks,
    Reed

2. fabioely

fabioely Junior Member

3. reedesigner

reedesigner Industrial Designer

Thanks for the link. I really like the DIY approach to solving problems like that, how'd people at WW respond to your boat? Any requests for a second?

4. fabioely

fabioely Junior Member

people in WW really like the boat. i had many emails with congratulations.

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

As far as the hull technology in a tow boat goes, there is fierce competition in the field and the big players guard their new designs pretty closely.
    Your observation that styling and design are becoming big factors is a trend we see in a lot of things. When a technology matures (and the technological progress in ski boats is in very small increments these days), styling and design become bigger factors in a buyer's decision. Although I do think it's quite possible, and desirable, to make a craft aesthetically pleasing and functionally good at the same time, without waiting until the marketing types demand it....

6. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

fabioely, That is a great looking boat. I am contemplating building in steel and was wondering the thickness of the plate you used for the bottom and sides. Thanks!:cool:

7. robk

robk Junior Member

Were you thinking of doing a mid engine or Vdrive. All the Vdrives are deeper V boats. The mid engines/stern drives are flatter bottom.

I have a 98' Sportstar 19 from Mastercraft. The wake shape is perfect. A little small but perfect. Many who do not wakeboard than ride behind this boat think the wake is HUGE. They of course have never ridden in a 21 or 22ft Vdrive with 2500lbs of ballast.

8. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Hi! I would prefer a mid engine. I would like a good ski boat as my childern arn't into wakeboarding yet so ballast tanks just in case they find they like it.

9. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

I'm not a wakeboarder, but I had to ask - what do you guys feel about the impact of your purpose-made large wakes on other boaters and the environment?

10. robk

robk Junior Member

I have been asked this before.

Wakeboarding should be done very close to shore. As close as possible. This only creates one wake for other boaters to deal with. As far as shore line erosion I feel the pleasure boaters plowing at 14mph for 8-10 miles create a far greater disturbance to all. Wakeboarders also hit hard and fast. I would ride from 5am till about 8am. In that time two to three others would ride as well with a total of may 45min of actual boating time. Not many others to deal with at 5am other than fellow wakeboarders.

I'm a self described water snob. First wripple of water and I'm done. That's for the jet skiers and yahoos to have fun on.

Also,

Many people make the mistake of "U" turning on the throttle to turn around or pick up fallen wake boarders, skiers and tubers. They actually kind of dig it (fast u turns) and think it shows skill. My group, to insure quality water for all, immediately kill the gas which stops the boat very quickly and then we hang a super tight turn at idle speed. This manuver will not send a roller out for someone else to encounter. We also Idle back to the boater. I would say at idle I turn around faster than others who throttle into a big fast U turn. If done properly it's very effective.

Edit, before the wakeboarding craze and low interest rates very few had tournemant boats that could perform wakeboarding properly. Now everyone under the sun has a wakeboard boat or has turned their I/O into one, sort of. I always feel that the lack of respect and knowledge out there is due to so many not coming up through the natural ranks of boating ie. learning from their parents.

Too many "yahoos" on the water as I call them. Now I fish.

11. robk

robk Junior Member

To Cold Eh,

Sorry got off track. I have a mid engine like I stated earlier. Overall I'm very happy with the performance of the boat. I wish it were open bow. I think I'm done with this boat in the very near future. If I were to ever consider a boat like this again it would be an open bow. The mid engine without an open bow should not even be considered.

With a mid engine you can always add ballast later. Just don't forget to balance it properly. A little weight in the bow drops the V and gives you a killer wake with a lot more control. To many people just throw people or weight in the rear not realizing your goal is to sink the boat in it's natural riding position when weighed down.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What about swimmers? Dogs fetching sticks? fishing? People that have picked a nice quite spot to read a book, I see your really out to make new freinds.

13. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Around here, you put a boat on plane within a hundred feet of shore and out comes a cop to ticket you. It's rude, dangerous and just plain stupid to drive at planing speeds near shore.
    When I ski, we head right down the middle of our lake, leaving a good quarter of a kilometre to shore at most points on the route. This way, both our wake and our engine noise are much less offensive to others.
    Numerous friends of mine have problems with wakeboard boats buzzing narrow channels near their docks, and coming too close to shore. Needless to say, just about everyone (humans, herons, beavers, moose, etc) hates this. It is very irresponsible to use a ballasted wakeboat near a natural shoreline, or a shoreline where other boats are docked. You need to leave space for your wake to dissipate a bit.

14. robk

robk Junior Member

I need to explain further. We are all from different lands with different rules. Your waterways may not be as regulated as San Diegos.

I used to wake board in Mission Bay San Diego (salt water). No dogs or swimmers are allowed here. We have "Dog Beach" in Ocean beach which is about 1mi of very valuable San Diego real estate saved solely for Dogs use and dogs use only.

This run of water is known as "ski beach" for a reason. You should look it up.

Regarding the lakes. Most lakes in Southern Ca, not Northern Ca are HEAVILY regulated as well. These lakes are so small the government breaks up days of when fishing or water skiing/wake boarding is allowed. On some days just for fisherman absolutely no water contact is allowed. 200 bass boats are fishing the shoreline for Florida Strain Large Mouth Bass. No free swimming is allowed on any days at these lakes. If people want to swim the City of La Jolla has reserved a couple hundred acres of prestine shoreline called the Sanctuary. It's where White Sea Bass are farm raised until they can be release. People swim and scuba there every day of the week.

I understand all of your guys' concerns but we here like everywhere else have our own rules. We ski close to shore at ski beach well...because it's ski beach!

A double wake produced in the middle of open waters turns into 8 rollers that will travel well over a 1/4 KM. You know have sent 4 rollers to anyone on the left or right side of your boat. We are extremely close to shore at ski beach and the right side roller never develops into the 4 rollers, it stays as one. We now only have our left roller being sent accross the water and the other is hitting shore very quickly.

Next time you have the water to yourself in the middle of your water way send a roller at riding speed a 1/4Km away and head to shore. Wait to see what comes crashing in. Rollers build momentum as they travel. Really...

15. robk

robk Junior Member

What also may be happening here is that many who are unfamiliar with San Diego waters are invisioning this rogue wakeboarder causing unpleasantries.

For example the question about bookreading. Let me tell you that San Diegos Mission Bay has 3million residents within 60miles of it. This is Labor Day Weekend here. Our last holiday until Thanksgiving and Christmas. San Diego is the #1 visitor destination spot for the bottom half of Californias residents. We are expecting 1million visitors today. Mission Bay and more specifically the Ski Beach/Fiesta Island location on any give weekend will have a few hundred boaters and jet skiers in one day. This area is probably 12mi of shoreline. Add to that the boating visitors and this will increase by a large percentage. No one goes to Mission Bay to read a book if they are worried about noise. We have too many miles of untouched shoreline to do that.

Here in San Diego the local governments have given everyone their very own locations to take part in the activity of their choice with others who share the same hobbies. Ski beach is for skiers...all of it, including the shoreline. Dog beach is for dogs, and so on.

It works out great.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.