3D viewer for Rhino Models

Discussion in 'Software' started by Willallison, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'm sure I've asked this before, but blowed if I can find it now...:confused:

Is there a free (or low cost) program available that will allow others to view (and preferably rotate or at least see animated images) of a 3D model exported from Rhino (or rather in a format that can be exported by Rhino)?

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Not sure if "CAD viewer" does that, but maybe worth trying, its freeware. It does work with solidworks files.

Regards
    Richard

3. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Rhino demo is free. I have made models for others and had them install the demo so they could look at it and take measurements. A great toool for free.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Senior Member

The demo idea seems like a good one. The problem is that you are then giving the viewer access to your native modeling file. If you are just trying to discuss ideas with potential clients I wouldn't want to send them editable files. If you are already entered into a contract and are trading information this would be the easiest.

Solidworks has their edrawings and Catia has a nifty 3dxml plugin, but I do not know of a Rhino export option for doing something similar. You could try downloading the viewers for things like that and seeing if they will open any of various Rhino exports - perhaps dwg?

Adobe Acrobat 3D is not free. However, it outputs pdf files that everyone can open with the free Adobe reader they most likely already have installed. It's a good option. Particularly if you are dealing with non-computer users on the other end. Or if you find yourself submitting lots of proposals.

I've never tried this option, but apparently google sketchup imports 3ds files. You could try exporting from Rhino as 3ds and then importing into sketchup. Or exporting as GHS to open with Deadweight.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

When .pdf´s are a acceptable option, you can probably use "Free PDF" it emulates a printer and produces pdf files instead of printouts. I mail my CAD drawings that way when I don´t want to send the original drawing.

Regards
    Richard

a example:

Attached Files:

6. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

7. Willallison

Thanks Gents... I'll give a few of those a try...

8. Willallison

FYI
    I've downloaded the Simlab demo. My VERY brief play would suggest that it's very easy to use.
    And the resulting pdf file is exactly the format I'd prefer to send files in.

9. andrew jordon

andrew jordon New Member

Check this site: http://www.publishyourdesign.com. You can upload and view exported Rhino models in browser without plugin. It supports Solidworks models as well. You don't need to share original design document. Tools are provided to export designs to a small visualization file format .pyd.

10. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

This tool apparently doesn't work with Internet Explorer 9 due to use of webGL, and according to the publishyourdesign website requires a web browser such as Foxfire or Chrome. There are two plug-ins available which allow use of webGL with Internet Explorer but these are not mentioned on the publishyourown website. Incompatibility with Internet Explorer may be an issue for some users, particularly one as enterprises and institutions with centrally supported IT which have adopted IE as the standard browser.

11. andrew jordon

andrew jordon New Member

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Other WebGL plug-in for IE is IEWebGL http://www.iewebgl.com/

Following the link which appeared on my screen when I clicked on http://www.publishyourdesign.com I saw:

Oh no! We are sorry, but your browser does not seem to support WebGL.

You can upgrade by clicking this link.

You may want to download one of the following browsers to view WebGL content.

The following browsers support WebGL on Windows:

Google Chrome

Mozilla Firefox

You must enable JavaScript to use WebGL.

Nothing there about using the Google Chrome Frame plug-in with IE, only about using the Google Chrome browser. You might want to ammend this information to include the ability to use IE plug-ins.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.