Farymann R30

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by gonzo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am trying to find the proper timing marks on the camshaft of a R30. The manual shows them in the gear but there are none. There is a circle on the outside pulley and a pointer on the bearing carrier.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

If you really get desperate the "hot rod" shops will sell you a degree wheel.

This is put on the front crank pulley and TDC is located by pulling an injector and using a wire to observe when the piston is on top.
    A pointer is made to point to TDC 0deg on the disc.

A dial mike is more accurate , but the angle of the injector usually makes this impossible.

Then time the engine to the book specifications.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I am trying to find the right spot to engage the gears on the camshaft with the crankshaft. There is supposed to be a mark on the camshaft gears according to the manual, but it is not there.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Go to your local hot rod machine shop, and have the cam measured .

Not very expensive .

Tell him how the engine fires and where the crank index is in relation to #1 cylinder firing and he will be able to mark the cam for assembly.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Hot rod machine shops are, unfortunately, a thing of the past. I can use my dial gauges, etc., but it is much simpler to know which mark is the correct one. Even if the cam is measured, I still have to use the other mark on the flywheel. The flywheel alone is about 140lbs.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

IF and that is a big IF you can find out the origional cam timing locating the cam shaft bty measuring the lift with a degree wheel is not that hard.

What will be hard is finding the information!

Good luck as , I have zero ideas on where to search.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I found the camshaft timing, sort of. The manual is really horrible, with very poor information. I should be able, by trial and error, to find the right setting. This is taking way more time than what I estimated :(

8. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

Gonzo, this is the type of mechanic work that separates the men from the boys.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

This is what separates the properly designed engines with marks on the camshaft with the rest ;)

10. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

I had the same problem once, on a Briggs and Stratton 5hp. I tore it down about 10 times before I got it right.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.