Determining cloth in layup

Discussion in 'Materials' started by quicksail, Jun 10, 2008.

1. quicksail

quicksail Junior Member

We have a project and we need to find out what fibers/clothweight was used in a layup. We only have a sample piece of the epoxy/glass layup. If it were polyester resin we could just burn the resin off and look at the fibers. The question is can we do the same for epoxy? I know there are some flame retardent epoxies so I am not sure how I will be able to find what the layup was.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

You can burn the epoxy off as well. Just a bit smelly... Don't inhale the fumes.

Basicly they are all hydrocarbon resins, so above a certain temperature, the C-H bindings fall apart.

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Weight the sample accurately before amd after the burn of course.

It is an accyrate method to determine glass/resin ratios

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I presumed he'd knew that, as he is already using the same method with polyester.

As for fire retardant epoxy: You are more likely to stumble upon fire retardant polyester. When burnt off, it will leave white powder. shake that off before weighing.

5. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Also, measure the thickness....
    If it's flame retardent, it will burn... evenually, just takes more time, and if it's a good flame retardent, it will not keep the fire by it self, until the inhibitor have burned away, so you will have to have the gas flame there to keep it burning.... just don't give full throttle at the gas flame, as this can cause the fibres to blow away, better take it easy for best possible result.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.