How to Learn Boat Building in San Diego, suggestions, advice, etc. wanted

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by kgruskin, Jul 3, 2011.

1. kgruskin

kgruskin New Member

I have been interested in learning to build boats for quite some time but haven't had the time to seriously look into this until recently. Originally I thought seeing I'm in San Diego where there is such a large boating community that it would be somewhat easy to find resources such as classes I could sign up for or local boat builders where I could donate my time for for free in exchange to learn. Unfortunately from what I've found online this does not seem to be the case. As far as I can tell there really isn't anything in the area like this at all.

I'm hesitant to try learning from just books, but if this is what I have to do I will. It just seems that this will take much longer due to the mistakes I'll make along the way that an experienced builder could save me the time from making. With all of that said what I am looking to do is eventually build a sailboat of about 30' in length. I don't expect to be able to do this for quite sometime and plan to start small. I want to eventually build something that would be seaworthy with glass construction and high quality. High quality meaning high end materials and construction techniques that would produce a boat capable of sailing around CA, trips to Catalina and all around Mexico while having the confidence the boat can handle any conditions that a boat manufactured by Pearson, Tartan or the likes of C&C could handle.

If anyone has any suggested on any ways I could pick up knowledge on boat building and get started I'd greatly appreciate it. My first choice would be to work for free(I wouldn't turn down paid work) on my spare time to pick up the trade or as an apprentice. If this isn't possible here in San Diego I guess suggested reading and routes that others would recommend would be a good start. Traveling for extended periods of time isn't an option as I can't quit my full-time job to learn the trade.

2. Glen-L

Glen-L New Member

This may be a bit self-serving but our company is in the L.A. area and have provided boat plans and patterns for beginning builders since 1953. Most who build our boats have never built one before or taken any courses in boat building. We have a client in San Diego who built a 44' sailboat as his first project with no prior woodworking experience.

Anyway, if you'd like to read Jim's story, it's on our site: http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/webletters-10/webletter78.html#logan

Hope this helps!

Gayle Brantuk
    Glen-L Marine Designs

1 person likes this.
  3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

There is chapter of the Traditional small craft association (TSCA) in your area. They call themselves the Scuzzbums. Many of their people are skilled boat builders and they are, collectively, very sociable types. See if you can track them down. Start with www.tsca.net

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.