skin on frame canoe outrigger

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by fabrice, Jul 31, 2009.

1. fabrice

fabrice Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I'd like to have your point of view on this :
    I REALLY enjoyed paddling a 6 men va'a, and would like to build a skin on frame version downsized to 2 paddlers.

Don't know exactly where to begin ...
    silly idea maybe, but capefalcon sailing outrigger gave me some dreams to follow - their fault, not mine :D

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's a great idea for maintaining lightness. SOF can be designed in the building process by starting with a midsection shape and stem/stern and working from there. It allows a constant analysis and opportunities to make changes. Simply spread or pinch in stringers between midship and ends using whatever and see how it flows to the eye.
    A boat built to go fast will need to be a bit huskier than typical SOFs are. This will put it in the weight range of good cedar stripper or kevlar/ carbon builds, which isn't bad since the SOF is dirt cheap to build.
    The whole 2-man boat with outrigger and sail should be under 100 lbs even ruggedly built, and possibly as light as 80 lbs, I think.
    Use a windsurfer luff pocket sail and carbon two-piece mast and it should go like a rocket.

3. fabrice

fabrice Junior Member

Thanks Alan for your answer.
    actually, I don't want a sailing outrigger, but a mere paddling one.
    Just as I said formerly a V6 downsized to 2.
    My canoe should stay in the 20 kg range main hull alone, for ground manoeuvring ease.
    If it's possible with a stitch and glue build, I'd rather go on this for strengh, otherwise SOF will be my choice.
    I wonder if SOF will be stiff enough on the wave.