Desperate to sail

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by laukejas, Jul 28, 2013.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

You need a yankee screwdriver or some other sort of drill assistant.

Even an 'egg beater' would help, like the ones they sell for making cakes or bread.

You can use a nail, slightly pointed, sharpened on the end.

The real problem is not the strain upon you or your equipment.

Not pre-drilling means the wood around the screw threads are being 'crushed' as you put the screw in place, there is no other place for the wood to go.

Crushed wood loses a lot of its holding power .... a lot.

Even a needle sized hole will increase the holding power of the screws.

An old broken drill bit can be re-sharpened.

Are there any old timers in your area? pre-1990 Soviet era people are extremely resourceful.

:)

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Sewing is not that complicated. If you don't have access to a needle you can make one from a piece of iron wire.

Attached Files:

3. hoytedow

You should really give the old drill I mentioned earlier a try. It will make very good pilot holes for screws. Just fit a sharp nail on the end and it will carve a hole for you with much less work on your part.

4. hoytedow

Perhaps it would help if we knew what tools you have, not just the tools you don't have.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

This one should be moved to the first page of this thread. ;)

6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Any oil will work.

Pitch was the historic method of waterproofing ships. That is how North Carolina in the US got the nickname 'tarheels.' There was so much 'tar' that it was said, everyone had tar on their feet. Pitch melted down and burned is called tar.

I was told in North Carolina they burned pine logs down and the oil comes out of the wood and mixes with the ash. They actually used pits dug in the ground.

I think any cooking oil would be easier to work with, if you cook the oil down, as it thickens it becomes stickier - messy to work with. I would actually double boil, so you burn the oil less. Use a bigger pot and boil water, set a smaller pot in that. The oil temperature will not get over 100 celsius. I might cover the oil some of the time, and only cover the water when the oil pot is covered.

good luck!

7. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

The old way of making a drill was to take a straight piece of wood, put the sharpened wood in the end. And use a bow with a loop wrapped around it.

Move the bow back and forth like a saw. And you will 'burn' or drill into the wood.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

9. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

You must have misunderstood me, that's exactly what I'm about to do - use the genoa sail as a mainsail for cat rig.

Petros, thank you for the sketches. Someone must be reading someones thoughts, because I did exactly that with the line under the boat yesterday. Sadly, it didn't work well, because it was very difficult to tension and knot that line while underway (couldn't do that at the bridge, too shallow there). Maybe it's possible, but very difficult and impractical to rig... But I think this system with old oar section will work.

As for the mast step in floor gratings - well, you see, these gratings are old. It doesn't take much effort to rip one from it's place with bare hands. If I attached mast to it, it would tear them apart - and then I'll have to pay for the damage to the owner of the boat :)

At least these gratings are removable. I'm still working on the mast step out of some wood blocks - it should be finished by evening.

Well, I mentioned that in the first page, I think...

Thank you for tool ideas, I'll continue working!

10. hoytedow

Do you have a blacksmith in your region?

You can make your own pilot drill with a piece of 6mm soft steel round bar.

Attached Files:

11. hoytedow

You can even make a quickie pilot with a wire coat hanger. A file like the one you use to sharpen your axe can sharpen the end of the wire.

If the floor boards are that rotten, you should use your saw and replace them in exchange for your friend letting you use his boat.

12. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Not really. But it's okay - I found a way to get these wood screws in. All is done. I made a mast step, tried it - it holds strong as a stone. Tomorrow I sail.

It's not a friend - a boat is on loan. I would replace them anyway, if I had materials and tools, but I don't.

13. hoytedow

If he allowed you to borrow his boat he must be somewhat of a friend.

You have a saw and trees. Use the old fasteners if they are in good shape. Add a little elbow grease and stir.

Happy sailing. :)

14. laukejas

laukejas Senior Member

Sorry, I used wrong term (my English is still not perfect). It is rented, not on loan. Sorry for confusion. I have this hind of saw. Just old, rusty and blunt. You saw these gratings. Think how much time it would take to make them out of tree trunk with this tool...

15. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Your English is much better than my Russian. And my Latvian is NULL.

;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.