Designing your own boat, A fool for a client?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Pierre R, Sep 11, 2010.

1. wardd

wardd Senior Member

can any one explain Noahs ark

2. Brian@BNE

Brian@BNE Senior Member

No need to. We've moved on. Instead of two of everything in one boat we now have lots of boats for two. Long live the perfect passagemakers!

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

It is the story of the elephant who wanted to screw but didn't know where to go with his girlfriend. A boatbuilder without job agree to make a little boat for them so they can be protected. And the rain started. The boat builder had an idea, why not building the first inte-animal inter-course floating shelter so the animals will be protected during the mating season from the rain.
    And the rest is history.

Daniel

1 person likes this.
  4. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

The marine architect on that job was also the architect for the Universe. Noah's Ark was a minor sideline after that!

5. waynep

waynep Junior Member

Why don't you buy a few books on Boat Design and stop thinking about a thousand design details. That may help you get started on your first boat.

Quoting John Teale, Boat Designer and author of "How to Design a Boat", 2nd Edition: "There is nothing magical or particularly brilliant about designing a boat, and you don't need to be an Einstein or a Leonardo daVinci to sketch out the sort of craft that appeals to you."

There is also a Boat Design book available from Ted Brewer out there.

Gavin Atkin also has a good book on Boat Building.

These are just a few; there are many more good books out there - including the internet.

Should we ignore all these great resources? As for me, I will not ignore the advice from the good Designers and Builders who have taken the time to write and explain the boat design and building process. Thank you, and have a nice day.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

You certainly can't.

7. waynep

waynep Junior Member

I was told it was a boat loaded with a lot of animals to keep them from going extinct. One from each species; sheep, goats, chickens, and many other types of animals too. I read somewhere where the ark was found sitting on a mountain side somewhere overseas (outside the United States that is). They were quite sure it was the real thing, but not much else was talked about it. As for me, I say Noah may have designed and built it since it was named after him and all. No one can seem to find the ark, much less the lines plans.

8. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

I'm afraid Pierre has about all of them and some more :D

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

In fact HE would be the one to advise waynep, not vice versa....:D

10. waynep

waynep Junior Member

Given the atmosphere between me and you, I was expecting that. Have you been able to find a hat that is big enough for your head? I'm sure your a real team player on the job. I've seen many Project Managers come and go, and it's ALWAYS because they are unable to put it all together all the time. That's just an example. I don't really know who you are, what you haved studied, and what exactly you really know about Designing Boats. From what I gather from you, it is a whole lot. I don't really like the sounds from you, and will ignore you as much as possible. As for my background, I have worked with a large construction firm as a cost estimator, working my way up to senior estimator, and rarely had any trouble with anyone. You are one of the few that come out swinging, and are usually one of the first to leave that way.

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

No matter if you like my attitude or not, it would just be nice (from my point of view) to understand you.

No, I have not found a hat, by so far. And NO, I am not a team player.
    There are no teams.
    A project manager is a Autocrat at least, if not a dictator. (depending on location, culture and skills of the workforce), a democrat he is never!

But got my projects done by so far.

And I am very proud to say, that my land based objects are amongst the finest and most sought after in the world, and my boats are still just the very best money can buy! From 6,5 meter to 50 meter, you will not find anything afloat I could not do to perfection. And DID, and DO.
    Don´t get me wrong, this is not my pride. It is the ability to get my workforce to a level of being proud about our products.
    45 years now (it is my birthday today), I am self employed and acting against common sense and belief. I will do so for the next 62 years.

Regards
    Richard
    My education, studies and skills are not the topic here.

12. hoytedow

Happy Birthday. :)

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

thanks...:rolleyes:

14. hoytedow

I get the vibe.:eek:

15. evantica

evantica Senior Member

Mu oppinion (what it's worth?) I started with out any special knowledge to bild my own "Cape Horner" Yes a bit childish, I admit! But I've been on the sea for quite some years, read books and so on. But... I come (after some advise) to the conclusion that I had to contact a boatdesigner. coz' the parameters and calculations can't be done without expertis (my oppinion) I was involved in all the messurments and so on... but no I coulnd't have done it without this designer. And I was lucky, I had completed the hull from scratch, more or less and spent many long days into it, and money. But would not recomend anyone to do such a project, It could easy been a disaster instead and "give away" money and effort. BuT!!!! Its' on its way and cape horn in sight,
    Nt many belivers here, right?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.