Designing with different parts of the brain

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gonzo, Apr 4, 2013.

1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Of course. It is meant to entertain and not a measure of left brain/right brain characteristics. It is just people like you, AH, or Daiquiri, who uses the left and right brain have no trouble spinning it clockwise or counterclockwise. Others who are complacent, will see it revolving only one way and stop at that.

But I believe the lady who assesed me. She has a doctorate degree and runs a grade school recognized by our government. The school adapts its method in teaching according to how the child absorb knowledge faster. Some (child) can sit still in their chair and listen to their teacher speaking for hours while others learn faster doing it, others needs pictures to catch their attention. I belong to the last two category. I am visually inclined.

Reserches in brain activity has advanced enough to know how the brain function. One of the study is Daniel Tammet, a prodigous savant who calculated mentally the Pi to 250,000 (?) digits. Took him more than 5 hours to recite the digits. He associate numbers as colors, textures, words, and pictures, a talent normally reserved for artists. He can upon meeting you, remember the "spacing in your eyebrows, the number of buttons in your shirt but won't recognize you in the streets. He can remember details, not the whole." Clearly an example of the "dancing gorrilas" radiologist test posted here by Leo. A google search would lead to several of Daniel's feat.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

A lot of this conversation makes sense to me. I was a building contractor for years, and normally drew my own plans. In the initial design phase I almost always sketched freehand, because it let me concentrate on my ideas instead of getting buried in the mechanics of drawing. Then after I had a good idea of what I wanted I went to work with T-square and triangles in the early years, and drafting machines in the later ones, turning my rough ideas into scaled drawings and making sure the parts fit properly.

Of course, sometimes that mechanical process of drawing plans to scale brought me up short, and made me realize that my original concept wasn't going to work....

If I were drawing my own plans today, I think the situation would be substantially the same; I'd simply be substituting a computer for the old mechanical drawing aids I once used. And I'm betting I'd be spending fewer evenings drawing plans, and more evenings chasing the old lady around or rough-housing with the kids....

An interesting sidetrack: when bidding for remodels, specially kitchen remodels, I found well-drawn plans to be a big sales plus when dealing with the man of the house. But I quickly realized they didn't cut much ice with his wife or girlfriend. So any time a woman was involved in the decision making, I learned not to remain seated at the dining room table explaining the plans. Instead, I jumped up and moved around the kitchen, physically showing them stuff like, "these two upper cabinets will get eliminated because I'm going to put the sink right here, with a greenhouse window behind it that looks out onto your patio. Then I'll add a breakfast bar, that starts right here and comes out about eight feet, to here. Above that, I'll install new cabinets that come down to about this high above the bar...." etc., always showing them with my hands where everything would be.

My success rate in selling remodels probably doubled (at least) when I started doing that..... something to keep in mind if you're a budding designer of any sort. Men and women may be intellectual equals overall, but that doesn't necessarily mean they process information the same way.

3. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

There are several well-known techniques that artists use that are similar to
    what you described.
    For example, to make good copies from photographs or drawings, turn the
    photo upside-down. You are more likely to accurately reproduce the actual
    lines and shapes rather than adding your own emotional responses and feelings.
    It is even more striking if you use graph paper.

4. maxxxlogan

maxxxlogan The Nutty Engineer....

I studies mechanical engineering and industrial design. That subject was covered in industrial design, and anyone who asks what the difference in designing on PC or on paper needs to understand one thing.....you are digging a hole, weather you use a shovel or a pick you still finish with a hole....because the hole was made before you chose the tool.....the best method is to use the pick then clear out with a shovel....they are only tools....is about efficiency.....pen and paper to refine design, PC to finalize and manufacture.....

The design process is not drawing!!!!!! A industrial designer will come up with a design, and an engineer will tell him how to change it so it can be made. Hell anything can be made, but at what cost? So the issue lies in understanding that the brain needs to be trained to do both on the fly. I see it all the time, hot shot young engineers and designers think they come up with some amazing design till the guy on the shop floor asks them "How the hell do you expect me top make this???!!!"

One other thing, design is not based on theory alone. Some hands on experience is essential, when i was young dumb and full of cum I knew it all. But now wish I could go back with the knowledge I have now. So we all come to this revelation in our lives, some earlier some later.

The whole right brain left brain dominance is a crock of you know what, and is scientifically proven. It changes all the time depending on the stimuli, just as talent doesn't exist, it is all practice. Brain exercise is the key at any age.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQoM7_CKsZo
    Heaps of study done on this.

The best designs come when you are on the toilet, everyone knows that......only issue is you have paper but nothing to sketch with...hahahaha

"What mans mind conceives, mans character creates....."

5. maxxxlogan

It is all mental exercise.....i learnt to speed read at university, I had to to get by....

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I should have started over... I'm a confused mess.:D

40% left brain, 60% right brain

By the way, I'm also left-handed. Although by now I've gotten to the point where I'm almost ambidextrous, just from coping in a right-handed world.

7. assycat

assycat Previous Member

ad hoc- beauty is in the eye of the beholder- and therefore one person cannot override what another thinks is beautiful- its like saying
    "i" am the ultimate authority on whats beautiful and I say -" blue is more beautiful than green"...but i understand what your point is- some people can spot fairnerss more easily. :)

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Most people can appreciate a beautiful line or design, whether is a house, car or boat. However, few can design it. It is not possible to point at just one thing and say: that makes this beautiful. A good design is harmonious from every angle. A well designed boat will look good whether it is at the dock and the deck is at eye level, you are looking from above or the boat is heeling, etc.

9. assycat

assycat Previous Member

yea- I hear ya!...design is a gift- like musical talent.
    I guess thats why some hate bolger designs and I love them- er...well most of them...not all. there is a branch of philosophy on the whole gamut of esthetics. gonzo were you able to identify that ply panel ? i sent a pic in a post to you...im, guessing it might be either birch or fir. but not DF.

10. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

I suppose some folks adapt better than others. The trouble I have when trying to design on a computer is the divider points keep messing up the screen and eraser crumbs clog the keyboard.

I'm also ambidextrous, by the way. Are ambis drawn to design, or are we just stubborn people who have a symmetry fettish and have taught ourselves to work with either hand?

11. assycat

assycat Previous Member

Your Left Brain Percentages
    47%

Verbal (Your most dominant characteristic)
    42%

Logical
    34%

Symbolic
    34%

Reality-based
    27%

Sequential
    22%

Linear 22% (Your least dominant characteristic)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your Right Brain Percentages 55%

Concrete (Your most dominant characteristic) 45%

Random 36%

Fantasy-oriented 24%

Holistic 24%

Intuitive 13%

Nonverbal 13% (Your least dominant characteristic)

my left side says cool! my right says - interesting!

12. rxcomposite

Before graduating from grade school, we were made to take a stupid aptitude test. Our guidance councilor predicted I would be a great politician, To this date, I keep wondering. HAVE I EVER LIED TO HER? My frontal lobe has never developed as she predicted.:confused:

13. rxcomposite

It takes at least ten years of practice and tutoring to become a chess grandmaster, a grand piano player, a world class golfer, or a full pledge naval architect.

The tool is there but where do you find a good mentor?

14. assycat

assycat Previous Member

Christ I need to shut my brain down sometimes...!:rolleyes:

15. maxxxlogan

Most of us are doing it every day anyways on our own we just don't notice. Just being on this forum throwing ideas around is doing it. Cumulative deliberate practice.

Beauty is measurable to some degree, look up the golden ratio. Is everywhere in nature. Hence when you learn all this, you become a good designer by applying these tools.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.