Fritz's Wacky Lassie

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rede2, Dec 21, 2011.

1. rede2

rede2 Junior Member

:rolleyes:I am going to start building soon but had a few questions that hopefully can be answered by some more experienced builder. Could not find answers on the web. What is meant by the 73 degree constant flare refereced on the site? Also there was no upper measurement for the temp midship mold and no reference to transom side bevel or if it is even required. Can anyone give me an idea what was meant by external chine log version. A lot of questions for a simple boat. Just want to make sure the grand kids don't sink.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Reference to what you are asking about?

3. rede2

rede2 Junior Member

wacky lassie

On the building blog reference to where the transom meets the sides, is a bevel required. Also a temporary midship mold is inserted to form the sided around to shape the boat for prep in the stich and glue assembly. :confused:

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What is Fritz's Wacky Lassie? Where is the building blog? You are more likely to get answers if you provide a link to what you are asking questions about.

:confused:

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

The design is a simple canoe similar to a pirogue. The constant flare is simply the angle from horizontal that the side are at...73 deg from horizontal or 17 deg from vertical. If you use a protractor to lay out your mold you don't need an upper measurement because the measurement of the side panel is given and the mold can extend as much as you want above the sides. If you build the stitch and glue method you don't need a side bevel as you will be filleting the transom on and taping the outside. If you build the chine log method you eyeball the bevel and use a cleat on the inside to fasten the transom and sides together. An external chine log is a piece of wood attached to the outside of the side panel, beveled flat after attaching to the other side panel and spread to the correct distance and is used to attach the bottom on.

In this image the chine log is along the bottom of the boat and holds the bottom to the sides.

[​IMG]

Picture of WL
    [​IMG]

Plans:
    [​IMG]

URL: http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Wacky_Lassie/Wacky_Lassie.htm

1 person likes this.

6. rede2

rede2 Junior Member

wacky lassie

Thanks Steve, :) also others,
    You have cleared up the questions. I guess this site is just like boat building, learn as you go. Next time I will include a link. I built a small boat last year called Toto. That was my first attempt at boat building and it actually came out great, rows really nice and keeps up with our kayaks. Its just a little to big for the grand kids 5 & 7. I promised them I would build them their own boats. When I figure out how to post pictures I will include one.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.