Designing a wave ski or surf kayak

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by cthippo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

It's nice, but once again too small, only rated to 200 lbs. Thanks though
    The reason I was looking at the Salamander is that it's one of the relatively few rotomolded cruising boats out there that I might have a chance of fitting into. The others I've identified are the Skerray RM from the UK which I believe may be out of production, the Wilderness Tsunami 175 and the Perception Essence, though I have a note written on the last one that says I won't fit in it.

My ongoing challenge with kayaking is size, pure and simple. I'm 6' 1", 270 lbs, and at 19" my *** is wider than a lot of kayaks. I can't tell you how many boats I've gone to try out and I literally could not get into the cockpit. When you get into surf and whitewater boats which are small to begin with, there is absolutely nothing out there that fits. It was that continuing headache, plus the cost of the commercial boats that got me started building my own.

I've spent the last year building my own SOF boat, though I'm pretty convinced I don't actually need it. I took the pic below the last time I was out in my 9.5' playboat and it demonstrates the kind of paddling I like to do. Here I was in my itty-bitty boat up some itty-bitty slough getting pictures of a derelict barge. I could never dream of doing something like that in a 17' cruiser. Every time I go paddle I get reminded how much I love my little boat.

Attached Files:

2. KJL38

KJL38 Senior Member

The largest paddler I know is 6'8" and considerably heavier than you before he had stomach banding. He paddles Ecobezhigs and previously had a Perception which I think was a Carolina 160 mainly because they are wider at the hips so if you come across either of those they may be worth a test paddle.

It sounds like you may already have the ideal kayak for your needs and poking around backwaters can be some of the most interesting paddling.

3. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I know someone who has built surf skis out of that cheap pink foam he bought from Walmart for a total of something like $20. One layer of glass on the outside. Be careful, and fix it when you ding it.

I need to get some pictures, might take a bit (he never seems to use his camera!).

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

That about the white stuff they make dock floats from?

5. DriesLaas

DriesLaas Weekend Warrior

Here is my stitch and glue fishing ski, which has to handle surf launches and exits.
    It is 4700 mm long, shallow vee bottom, "transom" bows to increase buoyancy forward, and weighs a lot (25 kg) It has large rocker, and required a skeg to tame weathercocking in crosswinds. The first real test will be end of March, when I'm taking it down to the coast for proper trials and hopefully some decent fishing.
    Regards

Attached Files:

6. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

That's gorgeous, Dries!

I know it's not what you built her for, bug how does she surf?

7. DriesLaas

The jury on surfing ability is still out, but watch this space. First week of April is when I will know.
    Having said that, I am not well equipped to judge its' surfing performance. My experience is limited to punching out and coming back on racing surfski's. I have to own up to having owned a very nice 8 foot longboard years ago, but I was very much the weekend-warrior-sitting-behind-the-backline-dreading-the-trip-back-to-the-beach kind of surfer. So please consider my opinions on surfing with a healthy amount of skepticism.
    But I promise to let you know.

More exciting is the fact that my kayak-bimini is taking shape. Shade overhead whilst paddling, and fishing, and doing double duty as a downwind sail. That kind of pragmatic thing is what my boat is all about currently.

Regards,

8. DriesLaas

OK It's been a while, but here is some feedback.

The boat surfed rather well, especially considering it has me in control. I progressed to the point of doing surf entries and exits in fairly heavy surf at will, and also realised that being dumped is really not that bad.

My boat is not intended to be used as a playboat, but it does the job of punching out and coming back under control well enough to warrant further work on finishing.

Those large hatches on the sides need to be covered for a start, as they fill up in about a nanosecond when going out through a wave, and never evenly on both sides. The results is a comical and extremely uncomfortable list to one side. It does have the advantage of providing excellent entertainment for the hangers-on though.....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.