designing a fast rowboat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nordvindcrew, Oct 13, 2006.

1. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

reading

I am reading Pete Cullers' book on wooden boats and rowing. It is sort of a dissapointment to me because I was looking for more concrete information than is in the book. There is a lot of good general information and it makes a good read. I was feeling that I had thrown my money away until I got to the part about making your own oars. The cost of commercially made oars is prohibitive to me, so do it yourself is what is in order. The instructions seem good enough to yield some nice oars at a low price. The second thing that made the book worthwhile to me ( so far, only a quick scan through it ) are the pictures of three rowing boats he designed. The Otter, a Bateau, and an 18' and 20' Cornish gig really drew my interest. The 18' model, done in strip construction would make for a light, fast and stylish double. the plans are available through Mystic Seaport for anyone who is interested. The thread on the Wooden Boat site is full of good posts and gives some new perspectives. I noticed that Clint is adding his opinions there, but saw nothing about Drake posted. Nordlys is still in the same stage of construction as previously. Just close enough to row to be tempting but not quite there. Miserable weather here today, gale warnings and torrential rain with freezing rain to the North And West. Not a good day to even think of being on the water in a small boat

2. sailing canoe

sailing canoe Junior Member

Just the picture for a rainy day

Yes I really liked those gigs. But I have to say I really did not get the Otter. A guy in town has one rigged up with a sliding tractor seat rolling on castors!
    Heres the picture. I think it is one of the South End Rowing club boats(SF).

Attached Files:

3. nordvindcrew

otter

That's not an otter. That boat has a rouind hull and small ribs. The otter is a flat botom bateau with lap strake sides and heavier solid ribs. The boat You picture is similar to Chesapeak Light crafts Annapolis Wherry. they row well but are not enough boat for open water conditions.

4. Clinton B Chase

Clinton B Chase Senior Member

Drake in the water

Did some rowing the other day after playing with Drake's keel and the results seemed OK. Will need more time to row in calmer conditions. With spring tides giving us 12' high tides and always 15 kts of wind gusting to 20 it is sure hard to really feel the boat. But I do know she rows to windward and keeps very dry and barrels on. In 2' chop we enjoy ourselves! I realized last night taking her off the trailer to put in my shop for final adjustments that she is a tad heavy, but I'll need to get a scale and see how heavy. That may be why I feel a little drag in the water. Modifying the skeg allowed me to take the anchor out of the stern and this made me go faster! Incidentally, I found the skeg grabbed a bit too much, so I will shave off a bit and call that good. Overall is seems like I have reduced the keel a bit. Speed wise, it "seems" like it is easy to row at 3 1/2 kts but there seems to be current against me. 4 kts wasn't difficult, and getting up to 5 seemed hard...will have to wait until next year I think for more testing. One thing I found interested is that rowing into current was much easier than I thought. Rowing into a knot or knot and a half of current I was still able to maintain 3+ knots. The hull is pretty slippery. But I love the boat and am proud of the oars, they are just a joy to use. Enjoy the pictures.

Jeff, I did not comment on Drake in that WBF post because Drake is a single. As you can see in the pictures I am at the W.L without any other weight, especially a person. In calm conditions it'll be fine as a double, I predict. Those folks need a dory, I don't think they realize how difficult it't be to load a two-man rowboat into the roof top, but definitely doable.

Looking forward to rowing some events next year. I think we could do well in the longer, open-water races.

Cheers,
    Clint

Attached Files:

5. nordvindcrew

drake

Drake looks like you hit the nail on the head. The balance seems right on and it just looks good, often an indicatoe that all is well. 3-1/2 knots is a good cruising speed and with your hull length, 5 will definetly be hard work. Those long races are where great speed is not as necessary as the ability to keep up the good average speed that Drake should be capable of. I'm negotiating to buy a small trailer for The "Nordlys", and plan at least one trip North next summer. If I can, I'll try to let you know with the idea of doing a little rowing together. I have to admit to total envy as I look at the pictures of Drake in front of your shop. I'd kill to have a shop to work in rather than outside.

6. Clinton B Chase

Jeff, Thanks for comments. Those few cold weather rows will give great thoughts for the winter and while I try to get in shape on the erg. After bedding the keel strip, I'll be putting Drake in storage after all these storms pass and getting onto the next project, finally! (That project is a boat called the Goat Island Skiff, an ultralight, fast sailing skiff that rows tolerably well!)

Merry Christmas!

Clint

7. nordvindcrew

good material

Clint, your comment about bedding your keel prompted me to offer a suggestion. As you know, all my boat materials are bought with cost in mind. I bedded the keel on the Nordlys with a lumberyard caulking called Sidewinder. It is moderatly adhesive and retains enough flexability to work well as a bedding compound. Best of all per tube price is about six dollars. I showed my brother the pictures of Cullers 18-1/2' mini gig, and he is enthused about it too. I think I will be sending for the plans next year. Culler would not favor my choice of construction which will be strip built with fiberglass or dynel set in epoxy inside and out. Much as I would like to try to do a traditional construction build, it looks like more than I am capable of for a first attempt. Maybe one of his flattie skiffs would be a good place to start. I'd like to make a boat for my grand children, and that would be a good way to go. There are several lakes and reservoirs close by where they live in North Carolina, and they would enjoy having the opportunity to get out on the water with their dad.

8. charmc

charmc Senior Member

I took a break from work today and read the content on this thread that I had missed. Clint and Jeff, congratulations to you both!! Clint, your boat is a sheer beauty. Given her looks, plus your report that she rows pretty well, I'd call that a very successful build. Yeah, you're going to fuss over her and keep tweaking; that's the nature of the beast. I spent two years making continual modifications to my last Pacemaker restoration; she looked good, was very fast, and handled seas that kept boats twice her size in port, but still I had to keep tweaking ...

Jeff, for something you described as not much on looks, that SOF looks pretty good to me. Very nice lines, and we all know that's an indication she should perform well. It should be interesting to see how that SOF construction handles a chop. Bob like a cork? Looking forward to rowing reports. Good luck to you and bro on New Years day.

9. sailing canoe

sailing canoe Junior Member

Winter Reading

I got our local library to get " the Lone Voyager" by Joseph Garland; The life of Howard Blackburn. Its a good read. But make sure you are sitting by a roaring fire when you read the first bit. I'm still cold and I finished it a week ago. The rest of his life is pretty unbelievable too. How do you single hand a boat across the ocean without fingers??

10. nordvindcrew

reading

I've not read "Lone Voyager" but have read a lot about him ( Joseph Blackburn ). He must have had an indominable spirit to survived and then live to the fullest extent possible. Brother Dave and I did The Blackburn Challange race back in 2002. The race is 21 miles long, around Cape Ann MA. To us, that was a monumental row. We had fair weather and light seas and finished in less than four hours. We were elated, but it all pales compared to what Joseph Blackburn did on his row for life. Let's all hope that none of us ever gets in such a situation for, I fear, we wouldn't have the grit to do what he did. I'm going crazy waiting for a couple of nice days to work on " Nordlys " There will be nice days for a row on Duxbury Bay this winter and I want to be able to take advantage of them if possible. Weather here has been miserable with temps in the teens AM and 20's PM continuous light snow with about 10" on the ground. The North River is iced up from it's source to almost where it meets the ocean. No rowing there right now, but maybe a chance to go dig some steamer clams if things are right some Sunday.

11. nordvindcrew

panic time

Well friends, it's panic time. The Snow Row is this Saturday and I'm not ready. Not enough time on the water and I've been lazy on the rowing machine. The real bad news is that my brother is having some heart problems and may not be able to row. S0 now the push is on to get Nordlys rigged well enough to row as a single if need be. It's sunny but cold here ( 34 ) so I guess that I'll bundle up and see if I can get the oarlocks on and a thwart in place. The floor boards are ready to go in and should not take too much time. Foot stretchers are a puzzle to be worked out how ever possible to get anything at all to brace on. Fore cast for Saturday is for a decent day with temps in the low 50's and gentle winds with mostly sunny conditions. Sure hope I'm on the water rather than on the beach watching.

12. Clinton B Chase

Jeff, How did it go? As usual I missed it. Trailer and boat is literally blocked in by snow.

Jeff do you know George from my area. He rows out of Yarmouth. He was in a dory or some sort of workboat. Tall lanky guy with a scruffy beard.

My new webpage is up. Link in profile.

Cheers,
    Clint

Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

13. nordvindcrew

race

Hi Clint, we did Ok for a couple of old cripples: 5th out of 12 livery doubles and 35th overall out of 80 boats. Race conditions were: temp about 44 degrees, partly sunny and a strong breeze of about 15 mph out of the North ( I think ). First leg of the race, the waves were on our starboard stern quarter, second leg right into the wind and third leg was just about broadside to port. We had a lot of splash over but only took on 2 or 3 quarts of water. I was looking for you and Drake, hoped you'd make it. the only guys I know from your area are Dan peters and Henry O'Reilly. they're from the Portland area. George, Hmm... tall, lanky and bearded. Lots of people that look like that at the race, and the men are even uglier. The full results are on the Hull Lifesaving Museum site for anyone interested. Jeff

14. Clinton B Chase

You'll see us at Essex for sure. Anything before that? I need to get these events on the calendar soon. That guy, George was telling me about some sort of website for open water rowers.

Clint

15. nordvindcrew

web sites

Clint, I'm aware of two sites where you will find info on open water rowing. Try Googling Team Saquish and Hull Life Saving Museum. They both usually have a listing of races and events. I haven't done the Essex race, and that is one reason for building Nordlys: When brother Dave isn't able to row, I want to do some different races and meet some new rowers. Jeff

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.