Designing a boat at age 12

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by starling718, Jan 11, 2006.

1. trouty

trouty Guest

You know Liz

I wish I could take all the 12 year old kids from New York, for a walk in the rainforest and just show em stuff about the trees and plants and animals...maybe show them a trout swimming in a stream and such.

I have no doubt theres some really cool things in such a big city as New York for kids to do...and if the movies are anything to judge by maybe its a dangerous place at some times too...

But - I think it's sad that kids from anywhere in the world - can't just have the freedom (at your age) to run thru the forest and be carefree, sucking in all the pure fresh oxygen those forest giants pump out from their leaves - deep down into your lungs - it's about the biggest "high" you can experience (without chemicals like drugs), which is good for you and still legal in todayts world.

All kids should be able to roam free and imagine things with their fertile minds.

Now - I reckon you have a pretty active imagination hey?;)

You know - it seems like only yesterday (and I'm not really THAT old yet), that some clever dude invented the pocket calculator, (i was ~ 15years old and in yr 10, I think), and I reckoned at the time - it was pretty clever, a neat to have gadget if you like - but never eally thought it would lead to what we see today where I can communicate in real time with a bright 12 year old from New York..what a wonderful world technology is giving us!

Now I reckon in as far as you having a writing career - that soon (if not already) we will have voice recognition computers that can type everything we say - just by talking to it.

When that happens - imagine how easey it will be to be a writer?..

Cheers!

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Gold star Trouty, for the rain forest reference. Too few out there realise that we have rain forests in Australia (just bloody desert, the Opera House and Ayers Rock...Ooooppps Ulhuru...) But you've got to be quick - otherwise Gunns of Tasmania will have coverted it all to woodchips (Aus$10 a ton to Japan - to be re-imported as "chip board"at $1,000 a ton...)
    To walk through a rainforest, and we have them here in New South Wales... well it beats watching "Big Brother" or "Ïdol" any day.

But as to voice recognition computers (Mac have them already, by the way, have had for a couple of years at least) making the job of writers easy...
    It's just a machine, Trouty, It lacks imagination - that's what writers need. Luckily it sounds as though young Liz already has it.
    And if Liz is looking in... I once served aboard a ship with a CPO (Chief Petty Officer) whose given name was Shirley...:(

3. starling718

starling718 Liz Scales

:) I agree. It's not the stupid computer that's smart, it's the people who made it smart:rolleyes: . Putting together all those little tiny wires and making them fit perfectly, so the computer will work the way it's supposed to work. And sometimes REALLY bad things happen to people who let their computers think for them. One 14 year old was murdered because she gave all her personal info to a loony who she never met:eek: . Even though I doutb very highly that you'll find many fruitcakes like that on a boat design chatroom, but who said there never will be? It's scary out there, but you just have to know how to deal with it. My parents don't put all those pointless parental controls on my comuter because they know I'm not stupid enough to give away all my personal info or do anything like that:rolleyes: . I don't even use a computer for writng projects anyway. I have a notebook.:D

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Machines are good things as long as; people remember that is all they are machines to help us do things! As long as we use machines to help us we have no problems (and lets face it despite the stories machines can't do things unless people TELL them to!):cool:

And power to you Liz that can already differentiate between these things, not only that your doing something about it! :cool: But please remember that a computer is a good word processor and is nice and quick for copying up the stuff after you've written it down, using your imagination (which is the most important part of being human)! :) Another good point of being human is the fact that you don't breakdown after a good soaking - try that with either a computer or a notebook (or at times a 'boy', if there's soap in the water - come on guys you remember that don't you [being Scots Bergalia has an exemption from washing anyway something to do with the blue dye ain't it BraveHeart]!:D

Hey Bergalia some of the matelots these days are indeed Christened Shirley because they are entitled to be wierd I tell 'ee weird!

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Designing boat at age of 12

6. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

Dream big. question authority , have respect for all living things,and most of all never ever let someone else tell you ,you cant do it,(you can do anything you set your mind to!!!!!!!!!!!!!Longliner

7. trouty

trouty Guest

You know

you see someone young like Liz here, full of dreams and imagination - and it almost makes me believe there is hope for the world afterall!

I hope you never give up on your dream to sail to the Galapagos, Liz with all your friends.

We have a lad a LOT like yourself (a free spirit, full of imagination, and courage and dreams...) downunder.

Heck whats his name, the 16 year old Ozy kid that sailed solo round the world...was it Jon Sanders?..no I think he sponsored and helped the kid - what was his name again? Tis a nuisance getting old and forgetting stuff!

Anyway Liz - the point is - with enough help and encouragement, and dreams and imagination - if you work hard and stay focused - you can achieve ANYTHING in this world - you want in your lifetime!.

Heck - I'd like to see you as the first woman president of America! Sadly I think Hillary Clinton may beat you too it sooner than we would like..

But - think of this (coz I'm telling you about it long before it happens or anyone else has thought of it!). I reckon (believe) that after Shrub (Thats G Dubya.. a shrub is a small bush...:rolleyes: ) - has finnished ruining your country and Hillary Clinton has finnished it off...

I believe that America will one day be great again...

Only I believe that America will have 5 presidents - each representing about 10 states! (I think this must happen to stop the occurrrence of one madman ever gaining control of the worlds most powerful nation ever again).

A panel of 5 presidents, would each have to vote on issues so there could not be a deadlock..

5 presidents could each be in different places at the same time so not so vulnerable to attack etc etc, there are so many GOOD reasons for it- that it must happen!.

Someone who came back from the future said it does happen...2014 rings a bell..

Anyway Liz - I would vote for you as one of the 5 Presidents because, I think your country will need someone with your visions and dreams and imagination in it's future!.

Good luck president in waiting Liz!

Another (secret) thing almost no one knows young Liz.....that can help you achieve great things in your life....

Your mind works like this..

Your concious mind - you know about because you use it every day..
    BUT - your sub conscious mind - also works away quietly in the background every day too and IT takes orders from your conscious mind.. but - you know what?

It doesn't know right from wrong nor the possible from the impossible..it just doesn't know these things, but it MAKES THINGS HAPPEN based on what your conscious mind tells it (good things or bad things).

Heres the secret..to controlling your subconscious mind and making only good things (great things, or miracles even if God is wtith you - and he/she's in your superconscious mind - but your a bit young for that yet) happen to you..

Your subconscious mind ONLY gets it's information (like instructions being programmed into a computer) from what it HEARS with your EARS come out of your own MOUTH!!!

If you remember NOTHING else in your whole life remember that!

Thats right - what YOU SAY with your own mouth - is what your sub conscious mind sets to work making happen in real life for you and it doesn't know good from bad or right from wrong sooooooo..

Its VERY VERY important to ONLY say good things / positive things out of your own mouth - your subconscious mind for example doesn't KNOW the difference between sarcasm and reality or when your just joking or didn't really mean it - your subconscious mind doesnt know the difference...it just does what it is told!

So - if you want to be the first (or 2nd maybe) lady president of the USA (After Hillary), then you have to be very carefull what your ears hear come out of your own mouth, and only say good/positive things for yourself and to others about yourself and others...and I truly believe that one day - I will tell people (when I'm about 100) that I knew the first lady president of the United States of America, Lady LIZ when she was only 12 and wanted to sail to the Galapagos islands with her friends!.

And you will be able to tell the world - that some crazy trout dude from Australia told you a "secret to your success" on the internet boat design forum that made you great, when you were just 12 years old and he believed in you!!

Cheers to you Liz!

8. safewalrus

Poor old Trouty, tis sad when you get that old and lose your marbles!!

So how old are ye Trouty? 46? or three days Older than God (take your pick which one they're all pretty old, even the new ones like Elvis!)

Still the Old CAN produce some wisdom, when they are not taking the wee wee or being sarcastic eh? Bergalia - Cup Bearer to William Wallace scourge of Spiders (or was that Bob the Bruce?) Both lost to the English in the END! Remember that! :D :D :D

As did that prancing Frenchman Charles - but I won't be sayin' too much about them, I could but won't............. at this stage!)

9. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

Walrus - you may have beaten our bodies but you will never take away our spirit.........FREEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............

10. safewalrus

Nor will we take your whisky, ye can't even spell it right anybody knows true whiskey is epelt with an 'e' or two! In keeping with modern European standards of course - got to have little 'e' numbers everywhere ain't we?

11. starling718

starling718 Liz Scales

My family is voting for Hillary. We believe in her. I agree our president is pretty stupid.

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Ah...so you can have a president who is both pretty, and stupid....:mad:

13. safewalrus

Theres a song about that ain't there.....

"Some guys have all the luck,"

is the line I remember best!

Trouble is young Starling you'll find that once they've been in power for a short while they tend to become rotten - goes with the 'terror - ity'. US of A has started the sensible route by insisting you can only be top dog for two terms, which is at least a start!:eek:

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Build a model of your project boat. It will give you a good idea of the final look and also of the building schedule. That is, in which order things get built. The skills you learn work in full scale. For example, lofting, mold making and joinery. That is how I became a boat builder, my dad was a ship modeler. Later I apprenticed at a boatyard.

15. starling718

starling718 Liz Scales

Hillary's not stupid. Well, she's better than Bush.