Designing a bay and open water fishing boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tom Henslee, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Tom Henslee

Tom Henslee Junior Member

I sat up last night looking at plans for catamaran hulls and I have redrawn my plan to adapt to the full-tunnel design. I have also replaced the idea of inboard jet pumps for two outboards. Everything else I left the same. I have even added pull-out - fold out cots w/popup bug screen that are stored beneath the storage compartments on each side to the gunwales. They may not be the Marriott but they will do for the purpose. It will also have a small generator for high intensity detachable lights for bow fishing. If you have any ideas for what size outboards I would need, it will be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

One important consideration in a boat where protection from the elements is lacking, is "wetness". Being drenched by sheets of spray does not make for a pleasurable experience.

3. Tom Henslee

Yeah! Been there and done that far too many times out on open lakes and rivers going deer hunting in the fall and winter. We will have to see what to do about that. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that one. A good rain parka may have to do.

4. Mr Efficiency

Best "cure" is a well raked bow, and not excessively full "waterlines" forward.

5. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Here are a few links re aluminium working boats built in the USA - I am not saying that you should necessarily build a boat like any of these, but you might find some neat design ideas here for your boat.
    Be aware that the aluminium structure design will be relatively complicated - how far have you got with this so far?

Munson Boats - monohulls and catamarans -
    the Incredible Munson Hull | Custom welded aluminum boats, landing craft, workboats, patrol boats, fire boats, passenger boats, dive boats, research boats, fishing boats, boom boats https://www.munsonboats.com/newhulls.php

Metal Shark - 30' Resolute workboat -
    30ResoluteGallery | Metal Shark https://www.metalsharkboats.com/30resolutegallery/

Sea-Ark boats -
    Life Categories - SeaArk Boats https://www.seaarkboats.com/life-categories

6. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

A full tunnel design will have difficulty to give the shallow draft you’re looking for.
    a shallow tunnel in the stern of a monohull will allow high speeds over very shallow water.
    upload_2021-8-21_7-17-22.jpeg upload_2021-8-21_7-19-0.jpeg upload_2021-8-21_7-21-35.jpeg

bajansailor likes this.
  7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

The shallow tunnel in big seas?

I am wondering if he is for real so many varieties in this boat.

Seriously? Have you ever been pelted in the face by the last 6 waves? You can't continue at speed. A rain parka is not sufficient; sorry.

You are confusing me with all the directions you are taking. A skinny water boat for the GoM deep sea work really does not exist. There are two boats needed.

You are not going to he comfortable taking your $100k ride into 2 foot shoals.

They are two different boats man.

bajansailor and kapnD like this.
  8. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Tom, I am not a religious person, hence I have not have a look at your Facebook page.
    However I am a boaty person, and to this end, I (like Fallguy and KapnD and everybody else following this thread) want to help you to ensure that you get the best boat for your Statement of Requirements.
    Trouble is, as Fallguy has pointed out above, your two requirements for good skinny water ability along with being seaworthy offshore are mutually exclusive - this simply won't work.
    You can either design something halfway in between, which is not very good at either job, or you can (if your budget allows) have two totally different boats.
    Or decide which of the two you prefer, either offshore or skinny water fishing, and build one boat that is optimised for this.

Re a skinny water boat, have a read though of this thread (11 pages!) by Cajunpocket re the tunnel boat that he designed and built - maybe a larger version of this might be feasible?
    Pocket tunnel bateau https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/pocket-tunnel-bateau.64358/

9. Mr Efficiency

Hard to disagree with much of what has been said in replies, it would be a whole lot easier and cheaper even, to have two boats each devoted to its particular purpose, than one that tries to satisfy both rather different tasks, the speed requirement is not going to be met offshore at all, unless a rare flat day anyway. I think your biggest problem is the number of people you are attempting to have aboard, in a fishing boat, cut that down and things get a whole lot more achievable.

bajansailor likes this.
  10. Tom Henslee

I am in the beginning stages of this design and that is the reason that I am looking for good, sensible and learned information. The shallow tunnel is information I need. The offshore capabilities are for short term, near shore (5 - 10 miles) and calm weather. I just want to be prepared for the unexpected heavy squalls. KapnD, your photo on the far right is more of what I am looking for; only longer in a catamaran. I am hoping to turn this into a bowhunting expedition boat and doing so in the lakes and bayous of my home in central and south Louisiana. I am also hoping to get this done ASAP so that I can have a few years to enjoy it before giving it all to my son. I am a health and active 79 years old man who has no intentions of sitting my life away in a recliner. I truly do appreciate your interest and continued help with this project. I suppose that I am just trying to cover as many bases as possible with the design. Offshore ventures will not be more than 5 or 10 percent of my water time, probably less, so, I will have to maintain designs for inshore to get more of what i am looking for. Thanks.

11. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Well, you can go offshore in a bathtub if you plan carefully with the weatherman!
    Since the large part of your use is inshore, plan your dreamboat around that, and then you can push the limits with caution.

Interesting video shows the tunnel in action, and exhibits how high the motor can be positioned with a shallow tunnel.
    Unfortunately, twin motors wouldn’t work with this configuration, as there’s a fine balance between sponson width and tunnel width, but how about a trimaran for twin tunnels?

12. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Due to the extreme size of your flats boat, , dual motors would be a good thing, but I don’t see that working out well with a single shallow tunnel concept.
    Just brainstorming here,
    How about a trimaran bottom to place an outboard in each tunnel?
    Maybe like in your original sketch, the center sponson could be considerably shorter than the outboard sponsons?

13. Mr Efficiency

Not a bad idea, the tri-hull with the centre hull ending short of the stern ,and then you have two close-spaced outboards stepped up high. Having them in the twin tunnels would be an aeration problem I would say.

14. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

76E7D1EF-736A-4440-A733-68DDF46D1BCE.jpeg I think you ought to parse down the plan a bit. If you build this boat, you might be able to finish in as little as 6 months or less depending upon effort and building inside or out and finish.

https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/StudyPlans/XF20_STUDY.pdf

Bonus bowfishing magic if you read this thread. Stake out stick...

Majorgator's XF20 - SPLASHED :) - Page 2 - Boat Builder Central - Builder Forums https://www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22168&sid=3826405042e0b955029c05fbbec9f014&start=10

bajansailor likes this.

15. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Here is another. These are 413# ppi, draft 3" at 1000# which is enough for fuel and two guys, a 400# platform runs at 4".

This one does not go out into the gulf I'd say.. These are designed for 30mph with 60hp...not 60mph with 300hp...

C8405F13-A053-42B0-A754-6CEBC678AF07.jpeg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.