Lateral motion by twin waterjets

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by telrunya, Sep 6, 2011.

1. telrunya

telrunya New Member

Hi all

I'm interested in using twin waterjets and I'm curious on how it provides a lateral thrust to the boat without yawing.

Can anyone explain what's the combination of machineries (i.e. nozzle, bucket, throttle) that produces a lateral thrust to the boat?

Thank you!

2. BMcF

BMcF Senior Member

It's a simple vector addition. Typically, both jet units are turned outward/outboard and one placed in forward and one in reverse. The fore-aft thrust vectors cancel and you are left with only the residual combination of side thrust vectors, which side direction depending simply on which unit is in the forward bucket position and which in reverse.

I had a simple diagram somewhere that shows what I described above. I'll try to find it.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The large catamaran ferries here use such a system.
    Nozzles and buckets are articulated by hydraulics, but the actual controls are electronic: Two joysticks, each controlling one jet and the corresponding engine, plus a lock/unlock switch for normal navigation and docking.

4. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

not great though as many of the large high speed ferrys have smacked the dock
    For their windage they need something more

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.