Do inflatables with floor inserts have problem with fabric on floor

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

getting torn when landing on anything but soft sand?

How do they work hitting rounded river rocks that other soft bottom inflatables don't seem to have a problem with?

Better to take out the wood for river running?

YEAH, I KNOW IT IS AN OLDER INFLATABLE.

Avon Inflatable Boat - $450 (redwood city)

Date: 2011-10-14, 4:56PM PDT
    Reply to: sale-9mgfm-2650322131@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
    Avon Rover R280 Inflatable Boat
    9'3" Long
    Great Condition
    No Leaks - No Patches
    Nice Wood Floor
    Wood Oars
    Freshwater Use Only
    Storage Bag Included
    $450

Call (650) 245-1983

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    PostingID: 2650322131

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I really dont think it was made for going over any rocks at all. Its a yacht tender,--made to get over the short distance of boat to beach wihout getting wet.

Its fine where it is --at the side of a pool

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Yes and no. One advatage a fabric bottom has over a Rib is weight, very light, hence less prone to chafe. Generally if you treat your rubber bottom in a seamanlike way they last very long. Chafe strips on the stem and keel help. Dacron sticky back sail repair tape on a well prepared surface lasts a season or more

I like rubber bottoms because of their portability. With a little 2hp outbard they make great tenders.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.