Design Thoughts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by benha, Sep 21, 2016.

1. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I/Os and outboards are dangerous for divers. Inboards are the usual setup.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Outboards rule these days.

3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Typical abalone divers rig, cat around 7.5m

Attached Files:

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

5. benha

benha Junior Member

Clearly an I/O would be great for layout, but I'm not a fan. Not only does it have "boat sinking" implications in that you're relying on an articulating bellows seal to keep water out of your boat, but it's also the only configuration that involves running the power train itself through a knuckle. If I were to build an inboard I'd use a v-drive transmission to push the engine rearward, but for me the only good options are "real" inboard or outboard...

I've seen a couple of shamrocks around. Nice boats. Part of this is that I'm looking for a boat building project though. I could try to find one to pull lines and layout from one and mimick it, but that might prove challenging. Not a lot of those things around in these parts.

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member

I am pretty sure that even if the bellows cracks, water will not get into the boat. At least with Volvo

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Agreed, if you're not willing to do reasonable maintenance, you can't blame the design. By this I simply mean there are countless tens of thousands of I/O drives still floating, some with leaking bellows and all. I see boats all the time with over 20 year old transom kits on them, when I do the replacement.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.