Design thoughts on a 9" wooden Sailboat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by JohnBloch, Jun 12, 2006.

1. frosh

frosh Senior Member

John, listen carefully to the advice! You are not it this time capable of understanding the elementary hydrodynamics or the mechanics of sailing. ( This comes through loud and clear on your content of your threads). If you are keen to learn, it will come soon enough.
    Therefore don't waste your time and money building something you have designed this time around. GET A KIT OR AT LEAST SOME PLANS FOR A VERY SIMPLE SAIL BOAT. :idea:
    Many of us have built and designed more than a dozen boats. You will get your chance! You will be far wiser after you have built something that you know in advance will work, and done some sailing on her. :)

2. nero

nero Senior Member

JPEG4 quicktime movie

Talked to tech support may have to do with the version of quicktime.
    This one is compiled under JPEG4 to a quicktime movie. Added a water surface. This is a down and dirty 3 minutes to make version.

Attached Files:

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Sorry...No go on this one either:(

Steve

4. nero

nero Senior Member

Can anyone else with a PC run these quicktime movies? Please send me a PM if you can. Do not want to highjack this thread. thanks

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Make the extension ".mpg" or ".mpeg" - then it ought to be possible to view it on a pc.

6. nero

nero Senior Member

last try

This one is compiled with sorensen3 to quicktime. If it doesn't work I'll post some tiffs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  7. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

nope... didnt work...

Allright, Ill stop drawing... and start looking...

anyone have links to a plan thats about 9'?

One man mind you... (i decided if this one goes well, a 12 or 13'er could be an option for a 2 man quick sailer)

I would prefer something that can get going quick, but its not that imparitve...anything normal will work...

by the way, Im looking as well.. haha...

heres a couple Free plans ive found anyways (not sure if this is what were looking for, but i like a couple em anywhoo)

The Sea Flea: http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/SeaFlea

The Sea Mite: http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/SeaMite

Bannock ( 8ft pram): http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/Bannock

and
    The Greafin 10 (Pram): http://www.svensons.com/boat/?p=SailBoats/greafin10

those are the free designs ive found so far.... Ill look some other places... tell me what you think about those^

8. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

9. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Like I said in the other similar thread...try a PDRacer. Plans are free and from all accounts they are a blast.

Steve

10. frosh

frosh Senior Member

Hi John, if want to build from plans don't bother with the free ones. (they are ancient designs). You dont get a decent easy to build design that will perform well this way. Be prepared to pay a few bucks and get a better boat plan. Depending on your weight, and if you want to ever take a passanger, will determine the best size for you. Around 10 ft. is really sort of minimum, or else it wont be stable enough, nor achieve any speed. Have a look at the Argie 10. Stitch and glue construction is really easy, watertight and produces a light hull fairly cheaply. It will sail OK for 1 or 2 people of average size. You can stick it on car roof racks easily as well. Good for learning the basics of boatbuilding and sailing. http://www.dixdesign.com/dinghies.htm :)

11. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

no offence, but i would much more prefer to build something that looks like a boat....

That argie 10 actually looks pretty nice... but 90 dollars for full size plans is going to suck...

do you think ill be able to do it without full size plans? or should we bank on them being neccisary?

ps... the last post wasnt free designs... you should check them out and tell me if you like them...

12. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

ok... heres the boat that I actually saw first, and made me want to build one... I think its called an "el toro"

[​IMG]

obviously a pram, and evidently they have regattas with them.... heres a link to the site: http://www.sailingsource.com/eltoro/

and with "full" plans being at 30 bucks, im not sure if i can complain...

please, somone leave your thoughts on this boat....

13. JohnBloch

JohnBloch Yeah...

[​IMG]

better profile view...

Im liking this design alot... and Im pretty sure im going to get the plans... but please someone comment...

14. Baronvonrort

Baronvonrort Junior Member

John
    I dont mean to offend you but i think it would be a waste of time and money trying to build your design.

Can i suggest you contact someone in the "moth" class in Australia and see if someone has plans for an older scow type which you might pick up very cheaply or even for free.

The older scow moths are very easy and and pretty cheap to build from plywood.You could probably get a good second hand sail cheap as well.

You can roof rack it and it would be a lot more fun to sail.

www.moth.asn.au

Attached Files:

• lee.jpg
      lee.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:

15. frosh

frosh Senior Member

John, plans are like the cheapest part. Generally you will get what you pay for. Full size patterns are really great. They will save heaps of time and ensure accuracy of the panels. As a newbie, it is easy to make a mistake trying to transfer dimensions from a small sheet of paper to a panel of marine ply. Also stitch and glue construction uses very little solid timber. This is a cost saving and a bonus if your woodworking skills are not that good.
    The suggestion about the Moth (scow) is also worth looking at. The final result will give a lot more performance, but is more difficult to build without doubt. If you go this way you should enlist the help of some-one who has built a wood boat before. :)