Design standards required by law

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jdworld, Nov 20, 2009.

1. jdworld

jdworld Junior Member

This is way off topic, but something i have been trying to find out recently for a something I am working on. Specifically, who requires things in boat design? What is the governing body, and where can I find their requirements? In researching around it looks like the main governing body seems to be the ABYC. HOWEVER, it seems that although they have lots of "standards" that they lay out, I have read that they are really only voluntary standards, not required by law. So where might I go to find out what IS required by law in boat design? Does a boat mfgr have to get the equivalent of a "building permit" for a new boat design? For cars, it's probably the National Transporation Safety Board. For airplanes it's the FAA. Who is it for boats? The Coast Guard?

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

DNV, LLoyds, German LLoyd, BV are providing the "standards" for small boats. ABS does´nt.

There are no building permits or something equivalent. Not in car or airplane manufacturing also! But the products have to be approved. (which in consequence can mean having "certified" staff)
    But in general every one armed monkey can setup a boatyard.:cool:

Regards
    Richard

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Richard is right. Any one can build basically any thing. The onus is on you to do it so that it will be acceptable to use for it's purpose and it doesn't pose any kind of threat or hazard. That said, quite a few out there just breathing poses a huge threat and hazard :rolleyes: but let's not go there :D

I think the general 'rule' of what is sensable to use is to look at what others did before you. If that can be improved on and calculations concur then let rip. Always a good idea to let a pro check things through for you, just in case one misses the obvious.

4. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well, it is...............
    ABS Guide for Offshore Yachts, approval for yachts under 24 metres withdrawn some years ago!..................

6. pamarine

pamarine Marine Electrician

For Manufacturers selling boats in the USA, the USCG is the governing body and sets all the standards for design and contstruction. You are partially correct when you say ABYC Recommendations are voluntary. Several of the ABYS chapters are now referenced in the USCG Regulations, and therefore have become law.

A reference for small-boat manufacturers can be found at http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boat_builders_handbook_and_regulations.aspx

The complete list of the applicable regulations to the design and construction of boats can be found at http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/federal_regulations.aspx

That being said, anybody can build a boat as long as they intend to use it only for personal use. It is still advisable to follow industry standards and the USCG has several resources available to backyard builders.

1 person likes this.
  7. pamarine

Actually, for production aircraft (aircraft that at least 50% are built in a factory by someone other than the end user), the FAA issues a Production Certificate along with a Type Certificate after extensive testing of each new design. Without these two certificates, it is illegal to manufacture aircraft intended for sale or registration in the US. As stated, this does not apply to ultralights or homebuilts (51% must be built by the owner)

8. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

In the US the rules are covered under the Code Of Federal Regulations. Everything from MARPOl to EPA you simply have to do a search on "CFR Shipbuilding"

K9

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Pamarine
    you´ll find that I already pointed towards "certified staff" which of course can include almost all staff.

K9
    that does´nt apply here.

10. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I didnt say it applied in Germany. I said in the US the rules of shipbuilding are covered in excrusiating detail in the Code of Federal Regulations. If you are building a ship/boat/airplane/truck/car/motorcycle the "governing body" in the US is in the CFR as per jdworlds request when he asked and I quote:

"What is the governing body, and where can I find their requirements? In researching around it looks like the main governing body seems to be the ABYC."

K9

11. pamarine

The staff doesn't have to be certified in anything, unless the manufacturer requires it. The Aircraft design is what is being deemed airworthy. Airworthiness standards are found in 14 CFR parts 21 through 39

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Jaja,

no certified staff, hmm.
    uncertified ally welders, uncertified cfk laminators, no masters, just monkeys.

I think we are (as usual) talking completely different worlds here.

The question was "boat design" and "building permit"

The answer is: NO you do´nt need. period

13. pamarine

The question was "'Governing Body for Boat Design and Construction." And yes, the boat does have to meet certain requirements under the law, period.

14. wardd

wardd Senior Member

it used to be and may still be that once type certification was approved then the manufacturer certified each airplane as complying unless its for the military

15. dockdave

dockdave Junior Member

No permit recquired in my backyard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.